13. I love that you drive me crazy

Chapter Thirteen

I love that you drive me crazy

  I had a dream last night.

  I dreamt I was on the beach, under the hot sun and clear blue sky, with all of my friends. We had fun swimming and playing around, but the best of all was that I could walk. My own two legs were working and that was a miracle in itself. Suddenly the dream changed and we were holding a large net in our hands. The sky turned grey and the hot weather was chased away by a cool breeze. I watched in horror as the shoreline covered up in a thick fog and I gave my friends a horrified look. My friends from home suddenly vanished and were replaced by Breaking Arm tribe members. I started screaming at the look of their crazy filled grins.

  I was brought back to reality by Lex who was shaking me hard to wake me up. I cried in his arms and I don’t know what I missed the most; my friends, my family, living on Earth or being able to walk. I do know that I was thankful for having Lex there with me in my weak moment.

  The dream made my mood sour and I guess my mind was processing our fishing trip yesterday. That and the home sickness I’m trying to suppress. Lex is supporting me quietly and I have a small hang over after last night’s drinking.

  The whole tribe is filled with a newfound hope and joy over their improved living situation. I dropped a few sizes in clothes and the before slightly big clothes hangs baggy over my shrinking body. I have dark circles around my eyes and I almost look like the rest of them. I can barely remember what a healthy human looks like anymore and I’d give anything to breathe the air on Earth again.

  I splash cold water from the tap all over my face. It is cooling me down a bit and I look sadly into my reflecting eyes in the mirror. The insanity is growing in them; the bloodlust is growing the more I wait for my revenge. I can’t afford to lose my sanity. I need to improve my skill with Tarih and I did have a great breakthrough yesterday when I learned to travel outside my body.

  I sigh deeply and walk out to Lex who is chatting with another man at the cooking area. He’s thirty years old with dirty blonde hair and I recall his name to be Larry. I glance at the rest of the tribe and they look more satisfied, less hungry and calm. They are acting more like humans should and that is hard in Paxia.

  “There you are,” Lex says impatiently and kicks a small black rock hard with his foot so it flies away. I focus my mind on it so it slows down and stops in a way that looks natural. I meet his satisfied eyes and I give him a smirk. “Larry is going to help us sort out the rubble of things Peter and I found the other day.”

  “Cool,” I nod and start feeling a new buzz in the webs I never felt before. “Can you feel those vibrations? They’re new to me.”

  He nods unimpressed. “I feel them come and go, but not too often. I never saw the source to it but I’m quite sure it belongs to some kind of transporting ship.”

  “The Paxians?” I breathe excitedly and we start walking out of the camp.

  “Either them or the wormhole is open for us to feel it from Earth.”

  “Hmm…” I mumble thoughtfully.

  I let my mind fly out in search of finding the source. I slinger through the labyrinths and the connection gets stronger where I usually lose track because of the distance. I don’t get lost in the maze this time and I gasp excitedly when my mind can feel the big shape. My excitement makes me unfocused; I lose my concentration and I am kicked back to reality. I can still feel the buzzing and I shake my head to clear it from the experience.

  “It’s definitely here in Paxia,” I tell Lex and Larry confidently.

  “Did you really learn to manage the threads that fast?” Larry says in disbelief. “I’ve been here eleven months and I only know how to teleport within the fog.”