33. Another Grey Day

Chapter Thirty-Three

Another grey day.

  The perfect summer morning on Earth is a huge contrast to the afternoon on Crest. The ice-cold wind hits my cheeks and I walk through the muddy road up to the training area where Lex is working out. Vita is following me with quick steps, shocked over the cold after getting used to Florem’s warm and humid air. I’m starting to like the cold. It’s keeping my head clear. I just need to work at getting as cold as it so I don’t get side-tracked with heavy emotions.

  The feelings I have for Lex is heavy enough. Will I ever stop reacting like I have walked into a brick-wall every time I see him? I’ve just gotten worse since I thought he died. I’m so lucky to have him sharing my life. He left Earth to be with me and I hope I can repay his love somehow.

  My Dad exchanged a few words with me before we left. Some of them stood out more than the other. “I guess you have realized that you can do so much more with the abilities than the ones you’ve copied them from. That is an ability you have inherited from Earth. It makes you special. You can twist every skill into any direction you need them to. Being the Iris will change you. It’s up for you to decide the rest now. We’re all humble servants under your spell. Regular chameleons can make small changes, but you’ll never be anywhere normal. Neither will any of your brothers and sisters. Make the claim, destroy Paxia.”

  Am I ready to destroy something?

  I’m not sure if I have a choice. I was always supposed to save everyone from Paxia. I guess the other chameleons were too weak to destroy the whole race. Let’s say I win. I’m still a child of Paxia.

   Saha decides to give me another speech.

  “The other citizens of Paxia are the wrong ones. It must be the Iris.”

  Why me out of everyone? I understand the whole Iris thing, but why make it so complicated?

  “We wanted our world to be different and make sure we don’t make the same mistakes again. There can only be one Goddess. In the end you must take away the abilities from the other chameleons, besides your Father and me.”

  Suddenly I see a piece of paper in a sight; a memory from the temple that held the message for me.

  Iris, there’s no guide to how you should do this. I don’t know how the world will become without all the peaceful Chameleons running it. I imagine the world to become a more corrupted place.

  Win over Paxia. Use the Paxia Fives as a resistance force. The Chameleons will never stop fighting until you lead them the way towards the light. It’s when you succeed with this that you’ll meet me for real and I will leave the heart of every world in your hands.

  Sincerely, Domion

  Everything feels clear now. I must take the path Domion decided for me. It doesn’t matter what Saha and Dad says. They think that I’m a kid that can be played around with, but that won’t do. I must stand up for myself.

  I shake away all thoughts when I reach Lex. I let him kiss me and listen to him while he tells me about the last days I wasn’t with him. It’s with sadness in my heart that I feel that he’s drifting away from me. It’s like seeing him in a different dimension. I hope he learns how to use the necklace properly so he can see the world the way I do.

  I introduce him to Vita and they seem to get along well. I’m still inside my bubble, watching and talking with them while my mind is somewhere else. That’s when I realize that I’m not connected to the world anymore. I am the world.