7. Like a wild animal

Chapter Seven

Like a wild animal

  I have decided to not feel offended by Lex behaviour. He is going to teach me how to become a hunter and I am going to respect him in all cases. Something tells me being on his side is a good idea.

  The webs are still humming in my ears but I can barely make out the weird choice of words. We are walking away from the stream and into the land again. It feels like we are stuck in a desert and I have given up on the hope of seeing any kind of plant. We haven’t seen a single person all day and suddenly we are closing in on the camp.

  There are fires spread over the area and there’s a building with tents in front of it. It is dark now and I can see a lot of people around the fires. Lex is speeding up and I don’t have any problem keeping up with him.

  I can feel my fears waking up to life again and I’m scared to face all the new people who are going to evaluate me with suspicious eyes. Everyone is staring at us as we arrive and no one is talking. All are dirty and in need of haircuts. Their clothes are a sad history and I wonder how long my own clothes will last in this climate. Lex grabs my arm again and drags me closer to him.

  “Everyone gathers here,” he orders loudly and everyone quietly joins in front of us. There must be at least thirty people of all ages. “This is Meryl, I just marked her into our tribe and I am going to train her to become a hunter.”

  The whole crowd is quiet and a young woman with blonde dirty hair steps out from the crowd with a loud yell. “Lex!” She flings herself around his neck but he is just stiff and still holding me in a tight grip. “Why did you bring her, we need food!”

  “Meryl is going to help me gather more food since all of you are unwilling to take huge risks,” he answers coldly and she takes a step back.

  “We are so many living here, where will she fit?” she asks jealously.

  “She will be sleeping with me,” he answers her with a cruel smile. I take it as an order and I promised to obey him earlier so I don’t protest or show the slightest emotion. “Meryl is my responsibility from now on and you will treat her with respect or you’ll answer to me.”

  She gives me a deadly stare but I decide to ignore her. She stomps off angrily and Lex drags me into the house, leaving the crowd outside. The house itself is in perfect condition and he takes me to what must be the master bedroom. It is a big room with a double bed and other furniture. The whole house has been lit up with coal made candles.

  “That was May,” Lex tells me. “She is trying to be my girlfriend but I have never given her any kind of hint that I want her. You are one of the lucky few in our tribe that gets to sleep in a bed. I have strict bed rules in the house, you must always be clean before you go to bed. This house has its own generator and running water. It wasn’t easy to fix, but not impossible. We are trying to use electricity as little as possible so we don’t use the lamps unless we need to. Go ahead, you can use the shower first, we have our own bathroom.”

I look at him surprised. This is the longest I’ve heard him talk so far.

  “Why do you get the master bedroom if there is so little space?” I ask him carefully.

  “I’m their master hunter; they respect me because I bring the food.”

  “Not today,” I whisper.

  “Not today,” he agrees. “As a hunter you don’t eat if you come back empty handed. I hope you had a good meal back at Earth, we are both going to sleep without dinner.”