25. White Glitter

Chapter Twenty-Five

 White glitter.

  Snow covers the ground. I asked the Petals to seat me on the windowsill so I can let myself dream away in memories. Flakes are slowly falling to the ground and I feel like a Princess trapped inside a castle. I am literally trapped in here. I can’t even move somewhere without help.

  I know it’s called being paralyzed but I really hate being stuck here! They must give me my necklace back. I need Tarih or a wheelchair. I haven’t seen a single wheel since I got here. Don’t tell me they haven’t invented the wheel! That’s a horrifying thought.

  I’m wearing a white dress today and they even put pearls in my hair. Luckily the fort is warm. It’s built with rocks that are warm. The walls and floor have a nice warming feeling when I touch them. It’s brilliant. I always begged Dad to install floor heating in our bathroom. He didn’t and now I’ll never experience the feeling of setting my feet on warm floor. Imagining it is not just the same thing.

  I see a reflection in the window of the mystic girl. She’s still keeping her distance and I see my chance to talk with her since no one else is around.

  “Will you help me?” I turn my head and look at her partly hiding behind the doorframe. “What’s your name?”

  She looks down in panic and seems to battle with herself if she should leave. She  plays with her hair nervously before quietly speaking up. “Vita.”

  “That’s a nice name.” I smile, trying to make her feel comfortable. “Come here.”

  She hesitates but walks up to me slowly. She stops two meters away from me and I pat the empty seat next to me and that haunted look comes back in her eyes. Still she takes the seat as far from me as possible and I lean back and set my gaze on the snow again.

  “Why are you not with the other Petals?” I ask her slowly.

  “I’m not a Petal,” she answers me shyly. “I’m a Shadow keeper. You’re not supposed to see me.” I scan her more carefully this time. “I’m not from Crest.”

  “Me neither. Why don’t you tell me a bit of yourself? It’s only fair since you have listened to my stories.”

  She gives the open doorway a nervous look before hiding her hands under the hem of the yellow skirt. “The Ruler of Crest took me from my master. She told me to keep my eyes on you in case you are lying.” Her lip is shivering. “You’re not supposed to see me. Only Shadow keepers and their masters are able to see me.”

  “Does that scare you?” I ask her and wonder what kind of world she is from.

  Shadow keepers must be some kind of spies. This girl doesn’t look like the right material for it. She’s dressed just like the Petals so I wouldn’t have guessed. I wish I’ll be able to see different between species. Maybe she was kidnapped! That explains why she’s so jumpy. Poor thing, she doesn’t have a fighting heart like I do.

  “I’m scared of the Crestians,” she whispers. “I can see them for who they really are. I want to leave this place. Please help me.” Her eyes are filled with tears that sparkle like silver. The sight is breath taking. I can’t do anything else than nod.

  My mind is trying to shake off her charm and I realize that this girl is dangerous. I push her away so she falls down on the floor with a cry. My heart is beating and I’m not sure how I could know this.

  I feel bad when she breaks out it huge sobs. Her tears leave silver-stains on her cheeks and she seems to be glowing. How could I have missed this before?