29. Golden Sunrise

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Golden sunrise

  I pick up a heap of leaves from a plant on the ground and add it to my stash of breakfast. A sense of pride washes through me at the sight and I see so many things to eat when I look around. Marc taught me the best he could, but my new ability to connect with the world also helps me know what’s healthy to eat.

  The morning sun is searching its way through the trees and it’s so beautiful here. We have left the darker side of the planet beside us and I can enjoy the daylight from eight in the morning.

  We are closing in to the city where Marc’s parents lives. I could have brought us there as soon as I knew where we were going, but then I would have lost the point with this camping trip. Vita is right; I need to connect to this world. It will take time, but it feels like I have learned a lot since the day she made me see everything clear.

  I need to be very careful with my new ability around the people in Florem. Firstly they’ll believe that I’m around fourteen years old since their aging process works different. I’m not sure if I want them to think I’m one of them. I don’t like the thought of hiding, but I hate the idea of being seen as a Goddess. What happened of being just Meryl?

  “Meryl?”

  Marc’s voice cuts through the silence and I sigh deeply. He doesn’t leave me alone for very long before he wants to check up on me. That’s another thing that annoys me after mine and Vita’s talk. I thought I’d be back before they woke up, but all the sensations delayed me too long.

  I wish it was Lex instead of Marc.

  "Lex will get his turn."

  What?

  “There you are!” Marc hugs me, relieved that I’m not in any immediate danger.

  “I was never lost,” I tell him loud and clear. “I don’t need you to check up on me. I was just collecting breakfast.”

  He scratches his head with a dumb smile. “I thought I could help you, but you already have more than enough for us to eat.” He checks my findings and shakes his head. “I don’t get how good you are at finding all hidden gems.”

  He stuffs his mouth full off his favourite berries and I just roll my eyes and head back to camp. I’m not wearing the Danglers today. There are so many positive sides to it that the negative part of it made me want to take a break from it. I don’t like having it strapped around my neck. It also makes me tired, which Tarih never does. I also love the feeling of power Tarih gives me.

  Marc disturbed my connection with Saha and she doesn’t answer when I call out for her. What does she mean with Lex will get his turn? Will I see him again?

  I finally reach our camp and find Vita hanging upside down, from a thick branch, like a bat. Her long white hair almost touches the ground and she looks at ease.

  “Morning, Meryl,” she sings and swings around and lands on the ground with her feet steadily on the ground.

  It surprises me that she can do that. Once again I have been too selfish to ask what she’s actually able to do. It seems like I interrupted some kind of ritual for her. I throw our breakfast on the ground and lie down next to it. Marc runs panting into the clearing with sweat dripping down his face.

  “You could have waited for me!” he cries out and falls to the ground, trying to catch his breath again.

  “I didn’t walk that fast,” I add with a small shrug and reach for a blue vegetable.