1. This is getting old

Chapter One

This is getting old

  “Mom, are you even listening to me?” I clench my teeth ready to break something just to get her attention.

  Sometimes I wonder why my parents even decided to have five children when they can’t handle us all. We are just five wonderful tornados in their lives. My mom doesn’t like to look at me the same way anymore. She used to be so proud of me, the change stings my heart. It’s hard to be one of the kids again when I used to be able to fend for myself.

  “No Jilly!” Mom yells to my thirteen year old demanding sister. “I will not drive you to school; you can drive yourself when you are old enough, just like your brother does.”

  “But Keith doesn’t want to drop me off at my school. It is raining! I am going to ruin my hair,” Jill complains disappointed.

  I shove an umbrella into Jill’s grip and she leaves the house slamming the door hard. It takes less than ten minutes to walk to Jill’s school so I don’t see the point in getting a ride at all. I turn my head to find Mom busy helping Elle to pack down her ballerina clothes. Elle is only nine years old but has already decided to become a prima ballerina. What I wouldn’t pay to dance like her. I shake the thoughts away angrily.

  “I don’t mind walking in the rain,” Elle says in her sweet lovely voice. Her blonde hair is naturally curled so she looks like an angel. Her umbrella is white with red hearts on it. “Bye Mom, have a nice day Meryl.” She waves to me and walks out the door in her favourite rubber boots.

  Keith decides to join us in the hallway just as I’m about to claim Mom’s attention again. He is throwing and catching a red apple in his hand. It has two bite marks and he is chewing the pieces.

  “Don’t play with your food! Will you please drive Jill to school next time and stop being so difficult?” Mom asks him annoyed. He raises an eye brow and flashes me a grin.

“I can drive Meryl to school, or she can roll over there herself,” he says with a cocky voice.

  Mom gives off a shriek, grabs a comic book and slaps him continually while he tries to escape her. “Don’t you ever talk like that to your sister again, you hear me?” she yells at him with dreadful tears running down her cheeks.

  This is my sign to leave, which I would if it wasn’t for them standing in the way for me to pass.

  “Hey you two, this is getting old,” I tell them. “Can’t we have one day with a different routine?” They both freeze and I look scolding at them. “Never mind, let me pass, please?”

  They slowly move out of the way and I make my way out from the hallway into to the kitchen where little Tim-Tim is still eating his breakfast.

  “I’m sorry Meryl!” Keith shouts but I am too busy poring milk over my cheerios.

  Mom walks into the kitchen a bit pale with dried tears. She doesn’t bother to wear make-up anymore. She is not in a mood to talk and just sits there like a zombie on her chair.

  “I am also going to school after the summer,” Tim-Tim proudly announces smiling at me. “Will you come with me on my first day Merry?”

  “Of course I will,” I answer him earnestly. “I wouldn’t miss it for anything.”

  “Are you also starting school after the summer?”

  His innocent question makes me shiver slightly.  School, I used to love it. I have a heap of friends that I love to hang out with, but ever since the accident I’m scared to leave the house. I don’t want anyone to stare at me. I don’t want to see them shake their heads in pity. If only I could turn back time, but that’s impossible.

  I will never be able to walk again. I will be stuck in this wheelchair for the rest of my life.

  “Yes, Tim. Of course I will go back to school,” I finally tell him with a loud sigh.