꧂ Chapter 22

Yeona's POV

I've missed school for three whole days. I was in and out of consciousness the entire time that all I could remembered was my family nursing me. But once I finally felt better, the things that happened on Monday rushed back to my memory.

I cursed under my breath as I lay there on my bed. It's already dark outside my window and I picked up my phone from the nightstand to look at the time. 9:30 p.m.

There are a lot of text messages I haven't read since I got home on Monday and I tapped first on Seongjun's name on the list. There is only one simple message from him from Tuesday morning, probably before he went to school that day.

Seongjun
Junhyuk told me you're sick. I hope it's nothing serious. Call me when you're able to.

Seongjun always prefer talking than texting but, since it's already late, I texted him back that I'm already feeling okay.

The next one was from Seungmin asking how I am and just sending me random things. He doesn't usually send a bunch of text messages and he hates having a conversation through the phone so this tells that he's really worried. There are particularly a couple of messages from him that really caught my attention. The first one was on Tuesday and it read:

Seungmin
I'm at our lunch table with the gross couple. I'm texting you because they're extra gross today. They are exchanging cringy poems to each other and I somehow thought of one but I'm sending it to you:
Roses are red,
Hell, violets aren't blue,
If you still don't go to school tomorrow
I'm killing these two.

Yes, it's a threat so you better get well soon!

That made me smile. Even through the screen, I can still feel his lively personality. The other one was also during lunch the next day.

Seungmin
I'm starting to get angry that you aren't replying to my texts. But I talked to Seongjun-hyung and he said you aren't replying to him either.
WHY AREN'T YOU BETTER YET?
Now I'm killing the gross couple!
I'm sitting with Minjae now because I really can't take it anymore.
He says hi, btw

Of course, I didn't believe one bit that Minjae said hi but hearing from Seungmin always cheers me up. I sent him a quick reply:

Me
Going back to school tomorrow! You don't have to kill anyone or you'll be imprisoned for life. I hope it sinks in to you that that's a lot worse than having remedial classes!

His texts mentions Huijun in some way that I'm able to have an idea that he's fine despite what happened. I don't remember everything we've talked about but I know now for sure that he doesn't remember me from the bus and that I told him about the paintbrush and how I wanted to kiss him...

I dropped my phone for a moment and silently screamed on my pillow. How am I going to face all of them tomorrow? I was seriously contemplating whether I shouldn't go to school yet, but I won't be able to escape this forever.

I read more messages from our class rep and other classmates about the usual "Get well soon." and "How are you?" and there are also reminders of what I've missed in class. Despite not being close with all of them, I'm quite happy that they still do this for me.

What I didn't expect was the twenty-three unread messages from Huijun. I'm quite afraid to read them, but I did anyway after I convinced myself that I had to.

There were different versions of "I'm sorry.", "I hope you recover soon.", "Let's talk once you're okay.", and "Forget everything that happened."