꧂ Chapter 31

Yeona's POV

"Hurry up or we'll lose him!" Seungmin shouted just as we went out of the cab.

I ran with my suitcase as fast as I can to keep up with him. "Stop yelling at me. You're the one who's late!"

"Come on!" He said. We passed by a couple of shops when he suddenly stopped. "Wait. Are we in the right place?" He studied the address he had on a piece of paper.

"I don't care. I didn't even agree to this. Let's just go straight to school. It's only a couple of minutes' walk from here."

"We're already here." He said, not even looking at me, and continued walking down the street, now slower than his earlier pace.

Seungmin secretly got Minjae's new address from Ms. Wang yesterday and he decided we will surprise him at his front door today before we go to school to leave for the trip. Students' addresses aren't supposed to be disclosed without a valid reason. Even though everybody knows Seungmin and Minjae are friends, our homeroom teacher still shouldn't give it so easily, especially when there is no consent. I wonder how Seungmin convinced her.

As we walk, he kept glancing all over the place as if he's lost. "I don't think this is right." He said when we turned a corner to a familiar large apartment building. I'd recognize the street anywhere. It's where I got caught in the rain on Eunchae's birthday last year.

"Maybe it's a different building," I suggested, also thinking what he's thinking. But that's almost impossible. None of the other structures around looks residential.

"But it's the same one." He said, looking at the piece of paper again as if it changes each time he does. "Is this where he moved? That's why he doesn't want to tell me?"

Seems like it. He's been pestering Minjae for weeks to invite him to his new home, but he always manages to make an excuse. "If you still wanna go, let's go. If not, let's just go back to school."

He looked fondly at the building. He'd been in there multiple times already to visit Huijun. "No, we're going in." He said after a while. "If this is where he lives now, I can't do anything about it."

So we did. The security guard recognized him so he let us pass without calling to check in on Minjae. In the elevator, Seungmin hesitated before he pressed the button. Once it moved, he studied the written address again with a frown.

"What now?" I asked.

He glanced at me, hesitating. "Do... Do you remember Huijun's apartment number?" He said his name softly as if it's a forbidden word.

I shook my head. "No." I've only been here twice so it's easy for me to forget.

When the elevator door opens, Seungmin became sure. "Ms. Wang gave me his address."

"It could be a different one. Why would she give you his?" I try to make sense of the situation even though I'm also already doubtful. I felt the familiarity of the hallway as Seungmin led the way to the far right. I remember now that it's the same position where Huijun's door is.

We stood in front of it. "This is Huijun's apartment." He said.

"Then Minjae's should be one of the others." I looked around at the only other three doors and began walking to the one nearest when Seungmin pulled at my bag.

"No, I mean this is the exact door written on the address." He said, pointing at it. I gave him a questioning look and he only took out a breath as a response.

I snatched the paper in his hand only to see the exact same number on Huijun's door. When I gave it back to him, he was looking intently at the door as if remembering all the good old times that had happened inside. I'm sure there are plenty. "Do you wanna say hi?" I asked as a joke.