꧂ Chapter 27

Minjae's POV

I have no idea how long I've been throwing the tennis ball against my bedroom wall at my grandparents' place when mom opened the door. We're back here for spring break and this is the only place I could permanently call home since we move around a lot. My parents took me from my apartment that same day when Huijun tried to strangle me and I haven't heard from anyone since because I kept my phone off. I'm sure there's a bunch of text messages from Seungmin and maybe a few from Yeona but I don't want to talk about that day.

I still can't believe he's capable of doing that. I've known him since we were little and not once did he ever go crazy like that. Had I underestimated him? Did he really just pretended to be nice?

"We're going out for dinner. You should get ready." Mom said as I catch the ball and face her. "And put that ball away, honey, before you break something."

"With Gran and Gramps?" I asked almost excitedly. That rarely happens. My grandparents hate eating outside. They don't like the idea of overpaying for food when they can just make them at home.

"No. We're meeting with some old friends to catch up and talk business with. You know them. It's been a while so I thought they would want to see you."

"Oh. Who?" If she noticed my disappointment, she ignored it. Of course, it's about business. Everywhere we go and everything we do is about their work. We never go out just to have a good family time. At least not anymore.

Mom glanced at the alarm clock on my study table that I haven't used since 7th grade. My old things are still there. I guess Grandma did her best to make it look like I never left. If school isn't so far from here, I'd definitely choose to stay. "It's five already? You better move now, sweetie. We don't wanna be late."

"But, Mom-" She rashly closed the door before I could finish. They always do that. Apparently, time is more important than their son's queries. At least now I have the freedom to wear whatever I want. It's a business meeting so they'd want me to look presentable, but she also said I know those people so it wouldn't hurt to dress like a rebellious kid. I rummaged through the few clothes I packed from my apartment and found a black printed shirt and a black jacket. Dad would hate this color.

When I went out of my room, I was the tiniest bit worried that I was underdressed. I will look out of place if we end up going to a fancy restaurant. But both mom and dad wore casual button-downs so I was relieved. They look like they can't decide if they're going to a friendly gathering or work. I think that's the point. Still, I can't remember the last time I saw them in a different type of clothing when going out. It's always various versions of office attire.

Dad raised an eyebrow when he saw me. "I have nothing else." I lied before he could say anything. He just sighed.

"That's fine." Mom said, hurriedly gesturing us to go outside. "We don't have much time so just get in the car."

As we exit the front door, I yelled, "Danyeoogetseumnida!" towards the kitchen where my grandparents are.

After about half an hour driving, we arrived at a traditional restaurant where many cars are parked. I never would've guessed my parents would choose a place like this for such an occasion, but it couldn't have been their idea.

They had a reservation. I'd expected to be led to a table but the server walked further until we reached the private rooms where the tables are low and we had to sit on cushions. Of course. It's kind of a business meeting so they would want some privacy. The server opened one of the doors for us and Mom immediately lit up and said her greetings. I figured the people we're meeting are already there. I was tailing behind so when I finally stepped inside to greet them too, words didn't come out.