꧂ Chapter 26

Huijun's POV

I sighed when I saw her waving at me outside the classroom as soon as our last written exam ended. The whole school had been busy with all the exams for the past few days and everybody was waiting for this day to finally end. "You don't have to do this every single time." I told Eunchae when I reached her.

She flashed me a bright smile and linked her fingers through mine as we walked down the corridor. "I like doing this every single time. We were too busy for the past few weeks. This is the least I can do."

"I should be the one going to your classroom." I said. She'd been doing this ever since we had that talk after the festival. I don't know if it's out of guilt or if she really believe we're not spending enough time together anymore.

"Yeah. But you don't do that anymore." She wasn't looking at me when she said it. Then she faced me with another big smile as if it doesn't bother her. We reached outdoors and the other students were running around happily. We could all feel that the stressful days are finally over. As we walk, I caught Eunchae watching Seongjun-hyung with a group of guys from across the field. It would be a lie if she tells me she isn't thinking about him. After all, everyone will do the same if someone confessed to them. It's a bit different with me and Yeona since she didn't directly tell me she liked me, but still the idea of knowing someone likes you more than just a friend makes your brain flood with thoughts of what could've been if situations were different.

I pulled Eunchae behind the building where no one can see us, hoping I could talk to her about this one more time because she keeps insisting this is all okay. "Eunchae, listen-"

"It's not what you think." She said, cutting me off. It must be because of how I looked at her, or maybe because she knows me too well that she didn't have to let me finish. She smiled softly but no matter how happy and energetic she makes herself sound, I know she isn't.

What do I even think? That there's a possibility she also likes him? That maybe Seongjun-hyung's confession to her at the festival made her rethink her feelings for him, or for me? Or maybe I'm just overthinking things because, in a way, I had come to like her other best friend. It surprised me how Eunchae was able to tell me right away about her conversion with Seongjun-hyung, about how he told her he likes her and didn't realize it until she started dating me. Of course it made me uncomfortable, but it also made me more guilty of the things I didn't tell her. Somehow, just a little bit, I think it might be better if she goes to him instead of staying with me. I keep thinking I'm not good for her anymore.

"We've already talked about this. Nothing has changed, okay?" She continued, using her eyes to communicate as if her words aren't enough for me to believe.

Everything has changed, I thought. "I'm sorry. I know things hadn't been easy for us but you can't avoid your friends forever just to make me feel at ease. Because it's fine. We both know his intention for confessing is not to challenge me."

"I know. I just don't feel like it's right to keep hanging around him if things are like this. I don't want him to get the wrong idea so please give me some more time." She squeezed my hand, telling me to already drop this conversation.

"He's your best friend. I'm sure he understands, but it wouldn't be long until the others notice that something's wrong. Why are you even bothered by it too much?"

"Well, why aren't you?" She said longingly and it reminded me of how I've been treating her these days. Suddenly, her eyes went sparklingly close to tears. "Or are you bothered by an entirely different thing? Do you miss being with them?"

"No, what do you even mean by that?" I asked. Yes, I haven't been hanging out with any of them and I rarely talk to Seungmin anymore that I have no idea what's going on with his life. But that doesn't mean I'll choose to spend my time with them than with her. Not to thrash extent.