꧂ Chapter 4

Huijun's POV

I can't take my eyes off her.

I met Eunchae in this new cram school I started going to a few months ago, after my teachers pointed out that I'm a little behind with the lessons since I started the school year a couple of months late. I had to re-enroll to a different middle school for my last year because of some issues. I already attended a few days of classes in my previous school but it didn't matter. It's not like I know anyone there. Changing schools at least once every year had been my normal. But I am not allowing that in high school. I'll ask my parents to rent me my own place if I have to. I won't let them drag me all around the country because of their business anymore.

Eunchae was the one to talk to me first. Maybe because she thought I was a loner and she's the type to help out. Then, we began talking. Everyday. At one point, I took the courage to ask for her number and we started texting since then. She's really fun to talk to, comforting even. I like her a lot. But I'm not sure how she felt about me until she asked if I wanna go out this Saturday. I immediately agreed, but the next day she asked me to bring a friend because she's bringing one of hers. I was disappointed. Then, I blurt about it being a double date. Embarrassed, I wanted to take back my words, but she started grinning like she's glad I called it a date. That's when I knew.

"What do you think about her?" She asks me now as we walk.

"Huh?"

"Yeona." She says. "Isn't she cute? She doesn't think she's cute."

I look behind us to see Yeona and Seungmin following. They are talking now. "She's exactly like how you described her to be."

The truth is, I've seen Yeona before. Twice on a bus station, coincidentally enough. I had this drawn feeling towards her during those times, as stupid as that may sound. I even almost ran after a bus for wanting to meet her. But that's about it. I mean, if you don't count those urges of wanting to find her a few weeks after that. I don't know if she remembers me. Well, I hope not. Especially now that I'm kinda into her best friend.

"I hope she'll get along with your friend." Eunchae says. "Since we're all going to the same high school, I want all of us to be friends. And Yeona is stressing about not having new friends."

I smile at her. I resist the urge of wanting to hold her hand. We aren't in that level yet. "Is that why you brought her today?"

"Yeah." She smiles back. "Seungmin's going to the visuals arts department too, right? It'll be nice if they'll get close before school starts. She's a total kitten."

"I'm sure they'll get along. He has his own charms."

She grins.

"Guys, Yeona's hungry!" Seungmin announces. "We should go grab something to eat before we wander around."

We found a burger place near the station and decided to eat inside since we have a lot of time in our hands.

I was hoping to sit next to Eunchae but her friend sat down beside her before I can so I had no choice but to sit wih Seugmin across from them. I pretend not to notice the glower Eunchae gave her. I hid the smile on my face. It's enough to know she wants to sit beside me too.

"I'll order at the counter." Eunchae volunteers. "What do you guys want?"

"I'll go with you." I offer.

"No, it's fine." She says with finality. That is one of the reasons why I like her. If she decides on something, she'd go for it head-on. She never wavers.

We each said what we want and, with that, she stands up to go to the counter. But not before I saw her mouth "Talk with them." to Yeona.

She wants her to be friends with us. According to her, Yeona is a kitten which means she's shy and usually don't talk with people she just met. So I take the initiative to talk to her first.

"So, Yeona," I smile. Her eyes darted toward me like me saying her name sets a startling alarm inside her. "You're majoring in visual arts like Seungmin."

She smiles shyly. "Yes. We were just talking about it earlier."

"Yeah, too bad we aren't in the same class." Seungmin says. "But we have the same breaks. I was telling her maybe we could hang out at first just to get comfortable with the new environment."

"That'll be great!" I say. Although, I don't know why I sounded too enthusiastic. "Eunchae is really worried about-"

"She's always worried about me." Yeona cuts me off. "But she doesn't have to." She turns to Seungmin. I still can't get a full glimpse of her eyes. She can't seem to focus them in one place. "I mean, it's so nice that you're offering to help me adjust to the new school but if it's too much of a hassle, then you really don't have to."

"It's not a hassle." Seungmin says. "I like meeting new people."

She didn't answer but they locked eyes for a second as if having a silent conversation. My chest had this sinking feeling that I couldn't understand.

Seungmin's phone rang. He fished it from his pocket. When he saw the screen, he sighs. "Mom. I have to answer this real quick." And he left the two of us on the table to go outside.

There was this awkward silence that followed.

Luckily, this burger place is a self-service type so I took that advantage to do something to break the ice. I stand up and say, "I'll go get all of us some water."

"I'll help." Yeona says.

"No, it's okay..." but she's already standing up. We silently went to the corner counter where the water dispenser and some other disposable utensils and beverages are. "Now, where are the cups?" I muttered.

Yeona was scanning the counter. Now that she's only a few inches away from me, I get the chance to study her face. She's pretty, but not the way Eunchae is. She's on the cuter side and there's this calmness in her that makes me somehow comfortable. This confirms why I wanted to meet her during our quick encounters months ago. There's this mysterious but inviting vibe that I just want to get to know.

When I didn't see the cups anywhere, I reach for the cupboard at the same moment she did. Our skin touch for a tingling second before I jerk my hand away and laugh to soften the suddenness.

So much for avoiding awkwardness.

She takes out four paper cups and hands them to me. I start to put some ice on each one.

"Uhm...Eunchae doesn't like-"

"Ice," I jump in. "I know. She doesn't like ice in her water."

"Yeah." She nods.

That moment, I felt a little as if we're competing to prove who knows Eunchae better. Of course, she does. Eunchae and I have only known each other for a few months and this is only the first time we meet outside cram school.

Yeona takes the first two cups I filled in and walks back straight to our table without waiting for me. I can't help but be curious of what she's thinking.

When I return, Eunchae was already there with our food. Seungmin comes back a few moments later.

We eat and talk mostly about the remaining weeks we have before we become high school students. Eunchae is naturally leading the conversation with her bubbly personality. I notice then that Yeona doesn't have any trouble looking at Seungmin whenever they exchange words. Only at me.

~•~•~•~•~•~