꧂ Chapter 34

Minjae's POV

I've only had two separate hours of sleep and I'm still feeling exhausted when the series of alarms went off from all the speakers installed around the guest house. I heard Seungmin groaned in frustration as one of our roommates opened the curtains and the natural light came blasting through our eyelids.

Someone reached for me at the top bunk to shake me awake. I sat up, forgetting about the very low ceiling. It produced a loud thud as the top of my head grazed the thin wood.

"Are you okay?" My classmate asked. I sleepily nodded before he proceeds to wake the others up.

Seungmin protested and put his blanket back over his head saying he just got back literally an hour ago because of an early morning errand.

I was with him. After I went back from my walk with Yeona last night, I couldn't sleep. Seungmin called me up a few hours later because I might wake the others if I keep on turning in my bed. That's when he forced me to help him with that stupid errand that Ms. Wang asked him to do. Seriously, why would she ask her students to put up a dozen wooden signages around the beach at dawn? I mean, nobody cares. Yes, maybe the inspirational quotes that are artistically painted on them might actually be inspiring to some of us but, still. Does she have to make Seungmin do it himself? At dawn? I've already warned him a million times not to get close with Ms. Wang because things like that will be regular, or worse.

We went out to the large dining room that looks like an undecorated party hall for breakfast once we're finished with our morning routines. Seungmin and I sat on a table for four. When I saw Yeona entering the room with a group of girls, I immediately wave her over. Seungmin incredulously looked between the both of us as Yeona took the seat beside me.

"Wow. I didn't think you'd ever choose to sit next to him." Seungmin said.

"Shut up. I thought you're mad at me." Yeona said, then she eyed me.

I made a show of putting my arm behind her chair. With the cheesiest grin, I said, "What? Am I growing on you know?"

Seungmin choked on air. Yeona yanked my arm away as she stood up to change seats. "Okay, that was a bad idea."

I laughed. "I see. You wanted to sit in front of me so you can admire my handsome face." I winked.

She didn't hesitate to swat my hand on the table. The sound echoed across the hall and the people nearby turned to look. I ignored the pain and gave them my biggest smile as I bowed a little to apologize.

"Wow, you're actually not ignoring each other," Seungmin said. "Whatever happened to you guys last night? This is creeping me out."

"Nothing. Happened. Last night." Yeona emphasized each word as if to convince us that nothing really did.

"That sound suspicious."

"Well I remember having a lot of fun last night." I said.

"Why are you being weird?" Yeona asked me.

"Yeah, tell us, huh. Why are you being weird?" Seungmin was grinning. I'm sure this amuses him.

I already told him most of the things that happened. In fact, we even retraced my steps with her from the murals to the cave before we went back to the lodgings earlier. While he was taken aback when I first told him that I like Yeona, he wanted to be supportive. He still is unconvinced about the way I express myself, though. So whatever happens, he said he's on Yeona's side.

When we already have our food, we talked about today's activities. We're going to spend the rest of the morning sketching a sample image for our paintings. In the afternoon, we'll have a little bit of free time before we gather by class to have a discussion about our pieces.