꧂ Chapter 28

Yeona's POV

Yeona
Hi. Just wanted to check on you regarding what happened with Huijun. Are you okay?

I checked it again for the nth time to see if he already responded, or at least read my message. But, even though the break is already ending, there's still nothing from him. I texted Minjae immediately that night it happened. It's possible that he might've found it weird that I'm concerned, but I can't shake out the image of him suffering like that even if it's just for a few seconds. His questions that perpetually play in my mind were: Is he really okay? What if he got really shocked and is suffering from stress or something? Is it possible that he isn't talking to anyone at all? What if he doesn't want to give Huijun a chance anymore?

I should've talked to Seungmin but I'm sure he's pretty shocked himself. Plus, I kinda don't wanna give him the satisfaction about the idea of me being worried about Minjae.

Now, I placed my sketchbook back in my drawer to turn in for the night. I turned off the lights and lay on my bed as I wait. I've only been drawing for the past couple of weeks. None of my friends plan for us to go somewhere, not with what had happened. I barely get to talk with Seongjun and Seungmin, and it seems Eunchae doesn't intend on going out of her room at all. It's not like I could face her anyway.

As expected, my phone buzzed on my nightstand as it usually does at this time of the night. I know I shouldn't be answering and that I should've told anyone about this, but it's just so hard to talk about it now. Especially when everyone was so vulnerable at the moment.

"Hello?" I answered, my voice low because everyone in the house is probably already asleep.

"Hi." Huijun answered with that same pained tone that I've been hearing from him every night.

Although we've been talking for a week now, I've never had the courage to ask what happened with Minjae. It doesn't seem like he did it on purpose. He was startled himself right after and I couldn't quite understand everything. That first night he called, I couldn't believe it. We were planning on confessing everything to Eunchae, but the first thing he said was for me to act as a friend because he needed one. So I did, and I have been answering his calls then.

"You're about to go to bed?" He asked as I sat up and moved against the headboard.

"Yeah." I said. It's almost the same every night. We're quiet at first, hesitating, and then the conversation will eventually flow casually as if we're just getting to know each other.

"So..."

"So...?" I asked and waited. It's not like I have something to say. I never knew what to say to him and I'd never realized that until we're actually talking one on one.

"How was your day?"

"Fine, I guess." I said. "Just drawing and arguing with my brother all day. You?"

"Are you close?" He asked in almost a whisper. "With your brother?"

"You could say that. But we're not close close. Just...enough a brother and sister could get."

"Hmm.." he mumbled in understanding.

There was silence on the other end. "You're coming to school tomorrow, right?" I asked. I'm not sure why I did. I just got a feeling that e he doesn't want to come anymore. When he didn't answer for a couple of seconds too long, I said, "Hello?"

"Still here." His voice croaked.

"Were you asleep?"

"No."