꧂ Chapter 36

Minjae's POV

"If anyone's watching, they'll think you're a creep," Seungmin said. The two of us are sitting on a beach blanket having our afternoon break after we played multiple games against the other department. They were very competitive, especially with that volleyball game where I have to play against Huijun. He dived for the ball on my team's last point. We won, but I didn't feel like it because Yeona came rushing to him looking so worried right after he scratched his knee.

"I wish I'm the one who got scratched," I said pitifully, still staring at Huijun and Yeona sitting far ahead of us. Eunchae was just with them. Now, they've been laughing by themselves and it's making me uneasy.

Seungmin chuckled. "You think Yeona will come running to you if you did?"

"Won't she?" I asked with genuine curiosity. Seungmin just smiled and smacked my back as if that will make me feel any better. "Eunchae told me they broke up," I announced.

"What?" He took a few seconds to let that sink in. "Eunchae and Huijun? But they look just fine."

That's exactly what I said when she told me earlier. Eunchae gave me two reasons. She can't completely leave Huijun's side because of his condition. She's one of the few people who know about it and the doctor is counting on us to help. "It wasn't a bad breakup. Apparently, they both like someone else now." I said. That was her other reason.

"I can't imagine them liking other people." He glanced back in Yeona and Huijun's direction. "Hey, do you think Huijun likes Yeo-?"

"Don't even say it," I said sharply.

He laughed. "Ohh. That's where all the saltiness is coming from. I was sure it wasn't just from the wind."

I returned back a smack and he ended up stumbling to the sand with a grunt. I can't help but chuckle. "Sorry." He wiped away the sand from his hands in my direction, making it sprinkle all over my clothes. "Yah!"

"Just tell her you like her already," He suggested. "Or he's gonna beat you to it."

"But he just broke up."

"So? They broke up because they like someone else. That means they already have each other's consent. And you already told him you like Yeona. That's all the more reason he should move faster."

I stared at him. Is that right? "Nah, we don't even know if it's really Yeona. And Huijun wouldn't do that to me."

"You sure?" That fact that his eyebrow is raised definitely makes me unsure. "Fine. But just so you know, I don't care what you guys do. I'm always on Yeona's side."

We went back watching them without a word. It worries me that he'll act up in front of Yeona, but they've been together all day and he seems fine. That makes me kind of jealous of Yeona too.

"Do you think Eunchae's okay?" Seungmin asked out of the blue. "I mean, she really liked Huijun. You have no idea how much I suffered seeing the both of them display so much affection. And if Huijun likes Yeona now, well, that's just messed up. They're best friends."

I leaned on my elbows and stared up at the sky. That didn't even cross my mind. Surely Yeona thinks about that a lot. "If you're worried about Eunchae, just go talk to her. There's really no reason to be angry anymore."

He didn't say anything. When I glance at him, he's still watching the two. "How can you all suddenly be okay about it?" He asked. "He's not a bad person, I know that. But we know now what he's capable of. Is he just sick in the head or something?"

I swallowed a lump in my throat. Of course, it still bothers him. "He just needs friends. I had brainwashed you with many bad things about him. You need to forget about all that. I'm sure he'll welcome you back."