꧂ Chapter 29

Yeona's POV

"Are you okay?" I asked Minjae at lunch when Seungmin went to buy his food. We're at the cafeteria-not our usual table-and there is no sign of Seongjun, Eunchae, or Huijun anywhere.

Minjae who was sitting across from me nodded. He literally hasn't said a word since homeroom and Seungmin and I just kept glancing at each other for what to say to him next. I still had no idea but then I remembered my text. Maybe it's safer to bring it up now.

"Have you seen my text?" I asked, immediately going for it. He glanced up at me and it made me stutter as I continued, "Right at the start of break, I sent you a message."

"Oh." He mumbled. He brought out his phone and pressed the power button. It lit up and I figured it was off the entire time. It started vibrating nonstop after a few seconds. "I haven't looked at it since break started."

"Oh." Then that means he hadn't purposefully ignored me. That gave me a sense of relief.

Right before we went home that last day, Minjae and I stopped by at a cafe. Seungmin was supposed to come with us but he got a call from his mom so he hurried home. I thought Minjae was gonna suggest that we should go straight home too, but he had said, "Let's go. I want to drink a hell-a strong coffee." So I followed.

I ordered some hot coffee to go and after looking at me like I was an idiot, Minjae said that he's gonna find us some seats. I didn't think he wanted to stay.

We didn't speak about what had happened. Instead, he scolded me that I should've followed him right away when he had asked. Not knowing what to say, I had apologized. Somehow, at that moment, it wasn't right to argue with him. He just went through something and I can't be how I usually am to him.

He hadn't expected me to say sorry. He was tongue-tied for a couple of seconds. Then he'd said, "I'm sorry for saying you're shattered inside."

I also didn't see that coming. That's the reason I was angry at him and he had finally apologized. But before he said it, I realized I had already forgiven him. "I'm sorry I spread your phone number."

I thought we were having a warm moment right then and I expected him to apologize again for some other shit he did in the past. But he had immediately worn that mischievous grin of his and all those empathies I'm feeling for him vanished through thin air.

Despite still annoying me that entire time, his eyes looked sad when we parted ways. Huijun was his best friend and I'm sure he was having a lot of thoughts. That's why I texted him that night. Even though he might think I'm a bother, I had still worried. Just as much as I was worried about Huijun who went home alone that day.

"I just saw your message," Minjae said now as he gestured with his phone before putting it away. "I don't have to reply anymore, right?"

I nodded. Because what else could I say?

"Hey, guys! I found something interesting." Seungmin said excitedly from behind me. I turned around and saw Aera, my brother's best friend, with him. "It's a pissed-off chatterbox!"

"Yes, I'm pissed off!" She said, slamming a bottled juice and a sealed sandwich on the table beside me. She pulled the chair and sat as Seungmin settled beside Minjae. Then she immediately went into a frenzy. "Bang Junhyuk is pretending that he can't see me. I thought we agreed that we're going to spend lunch together since this is the first day of school. We even walked together this morning. But then, what? He's sitting there with people he just met while I politely refused the good people from my class who had asked me to have lunch with them because I thought we're eating together." She emphasized the last words. "Is he even thinking? Wait, wrong question. Does he even have a brain?"