Chapter 28

All of her friends were sober, but they were getting tired. Lily was sitting in James' lap. He was playing with the tips of her hair. Lily was watching as Marlene tried to explain how to braid to Frank. He was playing with Alice's hair, but it just looked like a tangled mess.

"No, no, no," Marlene tsked at Frank. "You have to do it like James." Marlene pointed at Lily and Lily looked at Marlene in confusion. "Do you see the intricacy?"

Lily touched her hair. She felt a bunch of braids in her hair. They were looped into one put together feeling, and Lily assumed a looking hairstyle.

"Wow," Alice said. She had just turned around to look at Lily.

"How did you learn how to do this?" Lily asked. She was looking James straight in the eye.

He looked back at her unashamedly. He didn't seem to have truly understood what he was doing until he looked at Lily's hair. "I'm not sure, practice I suppose."

"Practice on who?" Lily asked suspiciously.

"Marlene mostly and Julie I suppose."

Lily raised a delicate eyebrow.

"Julie is my baby cousin," James reminded her. Lily vaguely remembered James mentioning Julie as Evelyn's niece.

"MmmHmm," Lily made an agreeing sound.

Lily leaned into her boyfriend. He rested his head on top of hers and Lily could feel her breath slowing down. She listened to Marlene's instructions for Frank. Her eyes dropped closed.

It must have been hours later into the night. Lily stirred and she heard James talking to somebody.

"She is perfect-" the other voice started.

"I know," Lily heard James say. She felt a finger being run down her cheek. Lily didn't open her eyes because she was still half asleep and she wanted to hear what they were going to say.

"-for you," the voice finished.

"I know," James said again. He pressed a kiss to her hair and Lily felt herself grin.

She kept her face buried in James' chest. "She really loves you," the voice that Lily recognized as Remus.

"I really love her," James said.

"You know that Marlene will run you over if you break her heart," Remus reminded him.

"I would run myself over if I hurt her," James promised him.

"Do you even know what it means?" Remus asked.

James chuckled and his warm chest shook with laughter. "Not a bit, but it sounds bad."

Lily wasn't sure if they had talked more, but Lily had fallen asleep.

"Lily," whispered somebody. "Lily," they shook her.

"Yeah?" Lily groaned, it felt very early.

"Lily it's almost ten," Marlene said.

Lily shot up and out of James' lap. James groaned and opened his eyes.

"What is it?" James asked. Lily groaned under her breath. Lily thought that James' voice in the morning was a turn on.

Marlene elbowed Lily, "Come on."

"I have to go," Lily said. "My parents are going to get the wrong idea."

James groaned, he pulled Lily's hand and Lily stumbled back into her boyfriend. He kissed her and for a second Lily relaxed and then she moved away.

"I have to go," she said.

"I love you," he said in that same gruff voice.

"I love you too," she told him without hesitation. Marlene pulled Lily out of James' grip and the girls walked around their friends who were still passed out on the floor and onto the couches and chairs.

They stood in the foyer and Marlene grabbed her hand and apparated them away to the Evans's house. Lily and Marlene popped out in front of the Evans' home.

"Do I look like I'm walking the walk of shame?" Lily asked.

"Actually you look great," Marlene said. Lily touched her hair and it was in two perfect braids, which was different from last night.

Lily scanned Marlene, "So do you."

Marlene rolled her eyes, "yeah right."

Lily opened the door to her house and Marlene followed her in. Her parents were sitting at the table talking softly.

"Hey mum," Lily said.

"Hello Lily," her mother said. "How was last night?"

"Great," Lily and Marlene answered at the same time. "We stayed at Alice's house last night."

Lily thought that the lie was a bit much. "I thought that you went home with James," her father hinted.

Lily blushed, "Yep, but Alice was there and we went home with her."

"Very nice," Mrs. Evans said.

"I am going to freshen up," Lily said. Marlene nodded and both girls walked upstairs.

"Can we talk about James'?" Marlene asked as soon as Lily closed the door behind them. Lily moved to the bed and lay down, Marlene moved to sit next to her and the girls looked at each other.

"What about it?" Lily asked.

"Well you guys said I love you," Marlene started.

Lily nodded her head, but didn't respond.

"You love him," she said in a sing song voice.

"You have already heard us say that," Lily reminded her.

"Yeah I know," Marlene said. "Do you want to hear what we talked about after you fell asleep?" Lily glanced at Marlene. "No need to push, I'll tell you," Marlene said sarcastically. "Mostly Sirius talked about quidditch, which you don't care about. But at the end, when it was just Rick, James, Remus, Hailey, and I awake. Hailey was talking about her wedding prep, and I was zoning out like usual. Then James was talking about you."

"What did he say?"

"He said that he was lucky to have found you-"

"Obviously."

"He said that he was going to have to tell you something. He was acting super weird about it, like suspicious. Remus said that he gave James his 'blessing', but I have no idea what that means." Lily looked up at Marlene. "Babe I know that he loves you, but he was being super sketchy. Like he had a second girlfriend or something." Lily opened her mouth to say something, but Marlene cut her off. "I would just ask him tonight, okay?"

"Okay," was all Lily could think to say. Her mind was racing, but Lily knew that James wouldn't do something like that.

"Can you think of anything weird?" Marlene asked gossip like.

Lily thought for a moment. He always disappeared around the full moon when Remus got 'sick'. For some reason unbeknownst to Lily she said, "Nothing."

It's my little sister's birthday today, so i just posted all in a row. Anyways, thank you for the support it means so much to me. xoxo -Anne