Chapter 36

Lily rolled her eyes and sighed. She returned to her book. An hour later the Gryffindor seventh years found themselves in Potions class. Lily had finished brewing her potion just moments before and she was trying to help Peter who was struggling.

"You aren't supposed to chop that," Lily told him. Peter looked at the potion with his teeth in a clenched frown.

"Well that seems like an issue," James said. He leaned against the other side of Peter's station and then held his nose.

"Oooh no," Peter groaned.

"It's okay," Lily assured him. "Just add horn root and two gillyweed leaves."

"Mr. Potter are you done?" Professor Slughorn asked him suspiciously.

"Yes sir," James said with a smug smile. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Severus scowl at the recognition that James had received. Lily was positive that Severus had finished before James and maybe even herself.

"Then would you and Ms.Evans come play a game with me?" Professor Slughorn asked them.

"Of course," Lily volunteered for them. James nodded his agreement.

They followed their professor to the front of the classroom and he held out three viles to the pair of them. "In one of these three vials is a mild laxative serum and the other two have a potion that will not hurt you, but they will have some side effects," Professor Slughorn explained.

This had gained the attention of the entire class. Lily's face paled, but James grabbed the first of the three clear bottles. "I'm not sure," Lily said.

"Come on Evans," James challenged. He smirked at her. James hardly ever called Lily, Evans anymore so their class knew that it was more of a dare than anything.

Lily sighed with a little frown, but she took the second of two vials. She popped open the cork and drank the vial in one swig. James shook his head in admiration of his girlfriend. He followed her lead and in moments, nothing happened.

"Professor," Lily said. "The potion tastes like nothing."

"Then the potion you drank was not the laxative," Professor Slughorn explained to her. Lily let out a sigh of relief.

"Well mine didn't taste like anything either," James said.

"Well that could mean anything, Mr. Potter," Professor Slughorn said. James' eyes bulged. Professor Slughorn let out a hearty chuckle, "I am just joking my dear boy, you haven't gotten the laxative either."

"So what have Lily and I just swallowed?" James asked.

"A testing potion of my own invention," Slughorn informed them. This seemed to worry Lily more than James had been about getting the laxative. "Do not worry Ms. Evans," Slughorn told her. "There is nothing lethal in this potion." This seemed to comfort Lily.

"So what is it supposed to do?" Lily asked.

"Well-" Professor Slughorn started.

Just then Marlene stood up, "Set me free why don't cha babe, get outta my life why don't cha babe, cause you don't really love me, you just keep me hanging on," Marlene sang. She was staring at Sirius with longing eyes.

"What was that?!" James exclaimed. Professor Slughorn looked at Lily and James with wide excited eyes.

"Marlene," Lily said. "I didn't know you could sing."

"What?" Marlene asked. She was sitting back into her seat. "I didn't sing."

James looked at Lily. "Ha ha!" Professor Slughorn exclaimed. "It worked!"