Chapter 60

DISCLAIMER: I do not known any of these characters, the wonderful JK Rowling does

Graduation came faster than Lily could have ever imagined. Lily's family wasn't allowed to come because they were muggles they were barely allowed to know about witchcraft at all. Lily got dressed in a tight, short, black cocktail dress. She put on matching black heels. She put her nicest gryffindor robes over it, but it wasn't buttoned. She put on the maroon graduation cap and straightened her hair. She put some makeup on, but not so much that it didn't look natural.

Marlene was back in their friend group, but she and Sirius weren't talking to each other much.

Lily went down her spiral staircase and saw James who was getting ready in the mirror. His hair was styled back and he was wearing a crisp white collared shirt with gray khakis. He was wearing the same robes and cap as Lily.

"You look nice," James told her. He must have seen her in the mirror.

"So do you," Lily told him. She walked until she was behind him, but could still see herself in the mirror. Even in heels, she wasn't quite as tall as James' eye level.

"Between you and me," Lily said softly in his ear. "I like your hair better messy." James scoffed in amusement.

He wrapped an arm around her waist, pulling her next to him. "Are you ready?" he asked her.

"No," Lily admitted. "God I don't feel ready to be an adult."

James smiled, "you're going to be the best adult ever." Lily wasn't sure if this was a complement or not, but they left their common rooms for the last time hand in hand. They walked down to the main lawn where there were too many chairs for Lily to count. There was a sea of seventh years in the front going from red (gryffindor), to yellow (hufflepuff), to green (slytherin), to finally blue (ravenclaw. It was very pleasing to Lily's eyes. Behind that were parents, guardians, older friends and siblings, younger friends and siblings, ministry dignitaries, and teachers.

Lily sat with her fellow gryffindor seventh years in alphabetical order. They listened to quite a few speeches that made Lily cry. Alice held Lily's hand and they shared a package of tissues.

"Now if our Head Girl Lily Evans would like to say a few words. Lily let go of Alice's hand and walked up to the podium where Professor McGonagal held out a microphone to Lily.

"Hello everyone," Lily said. "I am Lily Evans. I am speaking for our class when I say that we have some of our best years here. There have been a lot of ups and downs this year, but we had each other to help. We would like to thank the wonderful staff of professors and grounds keepers. We think that you have made us more prepared for the world than anything we could have ever imagined. I would also like to thank my professors for giving me the wonderful opportunity to be Head Girl. On a more personal note, I would like to thank my friends and family for everything they did for me this year. To leave you with some parting words: now go and make interesting mistakes, glorious fantastic mistakes, leave the world more interesting for being here." Everyone erupted in applause and Lily moved back to her seat.

"If our Head Boy will come up," McGonagal motioned to James. Lily paused James and he gave her a thumbs up.

"Hello," he said. "I'm James Potter. I was the Head Boy this year. I was also not informed that I needed to make a speech." Lily scoffed from her seat next to Alice. "Okay," James conceded, "I was told only four times by Minnie and Lily." Professor McGonagal frowned disapprovingly. Everyone around her laughed. "I guess I would like to thank everyone that Lily already said." James sighed. "As some of you might know I have spent the last seven years pining over Lily, and my grand plan ws to ask her out on final time at Hogwarts today, but I already worked that one out." Everyone looked to Lily and she covered her face with embarrassment. Sirius was laughing without even trying to conceal it. "WHat else can I say?" James thought out loud. "Professor McGonagal is telling me that I could wrap my speech up, but I feel like I have to fill up at least half the time of Lily's speech... Oh I got it. I would like to congratulate Sirius Black on the record for most detentions ever." Sirius took this moment to stand up and take a bow. He was met by some chuckles and whoops. "And the Gryffindor quidditch team for another win!" There were many cheers from past and present gryffindor alumni. "Okay that's it," James said with a shrug. "Bye."

Everyone clapped for him and he took a bow. He walked back to his seat. Lily gave him a disapproving shake of her head whereas James offered her a wink. The rest of the speeches went along too quickly for Lily's liking. Too soon it was over. Lily received her diploma and she moved her tassel from one side to the other. Alice ran over to Frank where he lifted her up. Lily was smiling in their direction when James came up behind her and gave her a hug.

"We're done," he said happily.

Lily turned around so that she could look at him. "We're done," she said happily. She was relieved, but she would miss it. She wouldn't shed too many more tears today. She grabbed him by the neck and pulled him into her. She kissed him and she could feel him smile under her lips.

"Aww," Evelyn said. Lily broke off, but James kept a hand around her waist. "Congratulations," she told them.

"Thank you," Lily said with a smile.

"We're sorry your family couldn't be here today," Mr Potter said.

"It's just the rules," Lily said. She wasn't particularly sure that she would have wanted them there, maybe her father.

"Sirius!" Evelyn called Sirius. He jogged over to them. "You graduated!" she cheered.

"I did," Sirius agreed amused.

"I told you, you would," Evelyn reminded him.

"And I didn't believe you," Sirius admitted. He gave her a hug and shook Mr Potter's hand. "Thank you," he told them. "For everything."

"We would do it again," Evelyn promised him.

"Marlene," Mr Potter said. Marlene had approached them. "Good job."

"Thank you," she said.

"We're sorry your parents couldn't see it," Evelyn told her.

Marlene smiled sadly, "me too."

"Marly!" Rick called from behind the group. What was with people and coming up behind others.

"Rick!" she said.

"You did it!" he said happily.

"I know," she reminded him. They hugged and Lily received an approving nod from Rick.

"Amazing speech Lily," Frank said as he and Alice joined the group. He was met by a chorus of yeahs.

"You not so much," Mr Potter told James.

"The support is overwhelming," James told his dad. He placed a hand over his heart in mock sincerity.

"Anytime son," Mr Potter said.

As the group started to disperse, Lily and James stood next to each other.

James looked down at Lily. "You're the best," he told her.

"I know," she shrugged.

He smirked and rolled his eyes. She gave him a hug. "I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," she whispered back.

So my story is over :( Comment if I should write what happened after, like in the Order of the Phoenix... idk you tell me. Thank you so much for all of the support and the love I got through all of this. I honestly didn't even expect to get five views on this and over 900 is more than I could have ever wished for. You guys are the best really. I appreciate all of the love more than I could ever say. You guys have made me so happy you have no idea. Thank you sm xoxo -Anne

I have decided to write a sequel to this book so go check that out as well <3