Chapter 56

Two days later, with locked doors, it was Lily's birthday. She was asleep and she could feel James next to her. His body heat was radiating off of him and Lily had one hand on his chest.

She took her hand off and rolled over. In the morning Lily awoke on her own inner clock.

Lily's eyes fluttered open, and she saw James looking at her. "Hi," Lily said groggily.

"Hey," James said. His voice was still gruff with the morning, but he seemed as though he had been awake for a while longer than Lily. "Happy Birthday," he said. Lily bit her lower lip and smiled.

"Thank you," she said. He leaned down and kissed her.

"What do you want to do today?" He asked her.

"I don't know," Lily said.

"Great because I have a plan," James said. Lily smiled. They got dressed and went downstairs to where there was a waiting Mr, Mrs Potter, Alice, and Sirius.

"Happy birthday," they chorused.

"Thank you," Lily blushed.

"I hadn't realized how much you sleep in," Sirius said when she took a seat next to him.

Lily checked the clock on the wall, "Its only 10:00am"

"And Alice made me get up at nine, because it's your birthday," Sirius sighed wistfully. James handed Lily a cup of coffee.

"Thanks," Lily said.

"No problem," James told her.

"Happy Birthday," ALice said as she slipped into Lily's other side.

"Thank you," Lily repeated.

"I got you something," Alice said. She held out a bag to Lily. Lily took it hesitantly.

"You didn't have to," Lily said. Lily moved to open the bag, but Alice stopped her.

"You won't want to open it right now," Alice whispered to Lily. "Not in front of James' parents." Lily nodded in understanding, and the girls shared a giggle. Sirius pulled the bag from Lily, but she pulled it back.

"What?" Sirius asked. "I want to know what's inside."

"So do I," Lily said. But she magically sealed the bag shut so that nobody could open it except for her. Sirius tried to snatch it back, but it shocked him and he pulled his hand away. Lily offered him a patronizing smile, "dare you to try it again."

Sirius frowned at her, but he didn't try to grab it again.

"Thank you, Alice," Lily said.

"Anytime," Alice said. They hugged and Lily put the bag under her chair.

Evelyn sat across from Lily and gave her a smile, "Happy birthday."

"Thank you," Lily repeated once again.

"I also have something for you," Mrs Potter said. She handed Lily a letter sealed with her name across the seal. "It's my letter of recommendation," Mrs Potter explained.

"Thank you so much!" Lily exclaimed. "I would give you a hug but-"

"We'll just say that you owe me one," Mrs Potter smiled.

Mr Potter handed Lily an identical envelope, but with his name on the seal. "I know that you didn't ask me for a recommendation letter," Mr Potter told Lily. "But I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a recommendation from the Head Auror." He motioned to himself proudly.

"Yes," Lily said happily. "Thank you so much."

"Anytime," he said. "I heard about your OWLS scores, very impressive."