Chapter 59

Before Lily knew it they were back on the Hogwarts Express. It wasn't disappointing, but Lily hadn't realized how little time they had before they were done with schooling all together. Soon enough they were finishing their transfiguration class. "Ms. Evan would you care to hang back for a moment?" McGonagal asked Lily.

"Yes professor," Lily agreed. James gave her a look, but she waved him goodbye.

"I wrote you the letter, but I am not sure why you need it," Her professor told her. "I heard that both Potters wrote letters for you as well as Dumbledor and one or two faculty members other than myself."

Lily nodded this was true, "it's all in an effort to make my application stand out," Lily told her.

"I think that your OWLS scores will do that for you," Professor McGonagal told her. Nevertheless she handed Lily two envelopes.

"Thank you professor," Lily said. "I really appreciate it."

McGonagal nodded and Lily pocketed the letters. She had received all of the outstanding recommendation letters and now she was ready to send in her application. Luckily for Lily's anxiety her application would be processed in three to four days. They would only accept a low number of students from her year. She didn't know many other people who were applying for the auror program, outside of her friend group. She did think that she would get in, she just had a lot of hope for the letters she would be sending.

She sent in her applications and then waited the four painstaking days. James and Alice had also sent their applications on the same day. James wasn't worried like Lily and Alice were, he was very relaxed. Lily thought that it was just his personality though, she liked that about him.

James had been running the quidditch practices twice as hard though. They had one game just two weeks away and if they won they would have an undefeated season, James wouldn't lose his last game that he would ever play as Gryffindor quidditch captain.

Alice was nervous, but excited nonetheless, they all knew that she would be in or none of them would, that's what James said about Lily as well though.

Finally their letters came over lunch. Lily opened her's to find that she had been accepted to the program. Alice and James got accepted too. Lily wasn't surprised, she knew that her friends were smart enough for that.

An owl flew in front of Sirius. Sirius tried to brush it away, but it held a letter out to him. Lily was sitting next to him and she took it before he could grab it.

"Okay," Lily said. She tore open the letter and scanned the page. "Sirius," she said. "Don't be mad."

"Lily..." Sirius said cautiously. "WHy shouldn't I be mad?"

"Well I did something," Lily said.

Sirius looked to James for help, but all James could offer him was a shrug, he didn't know what was going on either. Sirius reached for the letter, but Lily held on tighter to it.

"Well I didn't think that it was a good plan to suck James and I dry for a living," Lily said.

"So?" Sirius asked as he reached for the letter again.

"So I filled out an application to the auror program for you," Lily said quickly as though ripping off a bandage. She handed him the letter that stated his acceptance.

"Lily..." Sirius said.

"I know that I should have told you before I did this, but I was worried that you would stop me," Lily said, cutting him off. "I know that you wanted to travel, but you can do that with a license to curse legally." Lily bit her lip.