Chapter 48

"You didn't come home last night," ALice said as Lily snuck back into her room around seven am.

"I'll bet you didn't either," Lily countered.

Alice blushed. The girls heard the door open and Lily's father's voice. "Do you think he saw me?" Lily asked.

"I'm not sure," Alice said. They heard Petunia's voice.

"Wouldn't it be horrid if they saw me?" Lily asked.

"I think it would be funny," ALice said.

"Not if I want to live," Lily hissed.

"Go to bed," Alice suggested. "Maybe you can get a few hours before they try to wake you up?" Lily nodded. SHe had an amazing night last night, but Alice was right; she had hardly gotten any sleep.

Lily fell into her bed only to be awoken an hour later to her mother's insistant knocking on the door, "Lily!"

"Coming!" Lily called. She checked her reflection in the mirror, for how much sleep she had gotten last night she didn't look half bad.

Lily opened the door, wrapped in her bathrobe. "Your father and I want to talk to Petunia and you, get dressed then come downstairs."

"Sure mum," Lily said. She closed the door after her mother turned away. She put on a sweater and a knee length pencil skirt in nude colors, very modest. Lily walked downstairs just as Alice was walking upstairs.

"That seemed like a family thing," Alice said in response to Lily's inquiring look. "Also Vernon is downstairs."

Lily sighed. "Thanks for the warning."

"Hello Lily," her father said. Lily gave him a hello hug.

"Hello dad," Lily said with a pleasant smile.

"How's that boyfriend of yours?" he asked.

"James is great," Lily said. "In fact mum and I had tea with James and his mum the day before yesterday."

"Sounds nice," her father said.

"It was," her mother said. Petunia gave Lily a disgusted acknowledgement and Vernon gave her a curt nod.

Lily sat opposite Petunia and Vernon at the table and their parents sat next to one another on the side that Lily and Petunia shared. Lily's mother reached for her father's hand, but he would not take it.

"Your father and I have something we need to tell you," her mother started.

"Is someone dead?" Petunia asked, appalled.

"Nobody's dead," their father assured her.

"But-" their mother started again. "I made a huge mistake." Lily was silent; she had a bad feeling about this and she almost felt as though Vernon should not be here.

"WHat was the mistake?" The devil- Vernon- asked.

"I cheated on your father," Lily's mother ripped it off as if it was the band aid. Lily choked on air, she made no sound and no expression. She probably looked like a robot whereas Petunia looked heartbroken. "Your father has asked for a divorce."

"So you're getting divorced?" Vernon asked. Lily wanted to slap him. Don't make it real, Don't say it's true.

"Yes," their father asked. A sob escaped Lily's throat and suddenly their roles reversed. Petunia hardened and Lily became emotional. "We don't want you girls to be too affected by this, but we wanted to be the ones to tell you.

Lily started crying, but they were furious tears. SHe was so mad at her mother for cheating, she couldn't breath. Her father was in the right, Lily decided immediately, he was the victim, so were Lily and Petunia. Lily realized that was why Lily's mother had been so cool the past couple days, she wanted Lily to like her, to pick her side. Lily wouldn't. She got up from the table and ran upstairs.