Chapter 49

The night was sleepless, Lily's mind was racing. She eased off her bed so that she wouldn't wake James up. His protection was getting a little much for Lily, she wanted some air. So she put on her shoes and left the dorm.

She walked up many flights of stairs and found herself at the door to the roof. Lily pushed it open and the cold air hit Lily. It was fine, maybe she was numb. She sat against the short wall that prevented anyone from going over the side. She just inhaled the cool air and Lily felt better, she supposed. The pain from the curse was hardly even there anymore she meant it. She wasn't sure now how long she had been there, but she heard the door open again.

Footsteps walked over to Lily and sat beside her. "Hey," he said.

"Hey," Lily repeated. Sirius handed her a bottle that Lily took a sip of without hesitation. It tasted bitter and spicy on her throat. The alcohol was exactly what Lily needed.

"Thanks," she said.

"We don't have to talk about it," Sirius said.

"My parents are getting divorced," Lily said it bluntly and she took a sip of the bottle.

Sirius didn't say anything. He didn't try to convince her that she was perfect or that everything was going to be okay. He was just there for her.

Sirius took the bottle from Lily and took a sip. "Parents suck," he said. They sat in silence and Lily knew that his parents were not divorced and that they were a sore spot for him. If Lily had been in the right mindset she would have asked him about it, but he was there for her in silence and she would do the same for him.

They sat and exchanged the bottle until it was empty. Then they just sat in silence. Lily leaned against Sirius' shoulder and he rested his head on her's.

"My parents both want custody," Lily told him. Sirius nodded and Lily could feel him against the top of her head. "I don't know what to do." Lily had started to think about staying with her dad. She knew that her father was the one\e who deserved her time, but her mother would be helpless without her.

"Do you want to know my opinion?"

"Sure," Lily said.

"Wait it out."

"What?"

"Wait it out," Sirius repeated. "You are almost of age in the muggle world, yes?"

"Yes."

"So stall until you are of age, then you don't have to pick." This idea had never graced Lily's mind and she found it brilliant.

"Good idea."

I know this chapter was really short, I'll update some more. Thank you so much for your support. 700 views is more than I had ever imagined. xoxo -Anne