Chapter 37

Lily ran down the stairs and saw the Marauders. Sirius looked distraught. "I'm sorry," Lily said as soon as she was leaned over the couch between James and Sirius.

Sirius didn't respond. He just nodded. "James, Remus, we have a prefect meeting."

"Will you be okay?" James asked Sirius.

"No," Sirius moaned.

"I can handle it," Peter said. James looked at him with raised eyebrows. "I have a ton of experience being dumped." Nobody doubted this and the prefects moved to leave.

"That I should have bought you flowers

And held your hand

Should have gave you all my hours

When I had the chance

Take you to every party 'cause all you wanted to do was dance" Sirius sang.

Everyone around Lily and James and Sirius were frozen in time. The moment Sirius stopped. Life went back into motion.

"How did you guys turn around so fast?" Remus asked them when he noticed that they had stopped moving.

"Sirius just sang a song," Lily said with a few blinks.

"What did he sing?" Remus asked.

"I don't know," James said.

"When I was Your Man," Lily supplied.

Remus nodded, "he really liked Marlene."

"I know," James and Lily said in unison.

They went to the prefect meeting and they started talking about schedules.

"James and Eric on Monday," Lily read off the list. "Narissa and Adam Tuesday, Severus and James Wednesday."

Severus frowned, "Didn't Potter already have a night patrol assigned?"

James stepped forward, but Lily put a hand on his chest to hold him back. Remus moved a bit so that it would be easier to restrain James if necessary. "He skipped last week," Lily said.

"Why did he skip?" Severus asked with a sneer.

It had been a full moon. "That is none of your business," James snarled.

Clearly the peace between them had been short lived.

"Does everyone under-" Lily was interrupted.

"I won't lie to you

I know he's just not right for you

And you can tell me if I'm off

But I see it on your face

When you say that he's the one that you want-" Severus sang. He stopped abruptly and he gave Lily a longing glance before the world started moving again. Severus did not have a great singing voice so Lily cringed a little.

James didn't seem to have heard the song, but it made Lily feel uncomfortable.

"Does everyone understand?" Lily asked again.

There was a chorus of yeses and head nods. The meeting finished and Lily, James and Remus were the only ones left.

"I have to do a little bit of paperwork," Lily said grabbing a stack of paper off of James's desk.

"I did my paperwork with you," James said.

"I know," Lily said. "Now I check the work that you say you did."

"You have no faith in me," James said trying to sound annoyed.

"I'm gonna go check on Peter and Sirius," Remus said excusing himself. Lily sat at her desk and James sat on her desk.

"What are we going to do about Marlene and Sirius?" James asked her.

"Nothing," Lily said.

"What?" James asked in utter confusion.

"We can't get in the middle of this," Lily said. "They are inevitably going to get back together."

"Maybe," James said as he trailed off in thought.

They sat in silence while Lily fixed James' paper. "You skipped three out of five questions," Lily told him.

"Well who really knows what time it was?" James asked.

"You," Lily should. "You should really know."

James chuckled.

"It's almost time for dinner," James said. "Do you want to go?"

Lily got off of her chair, "Sure."

They walked down to the Great Hall, to see Marlene and Sirius sitting on opposite ends of the very long Gryffindor table. Lily looked at James.

"Go be with Marlene," he said. He nodded over to where Marlene was sitting at the far end of the table.

Lily smiled. She kissed him lightly, and she walked over to Marlene and Alice. "Hi," she said to them.

"Hi," Alice said. Marlene nodded a hello. Lily chose to sit next to Alice.

"Why aren't we sitting over there?" Lily asked them. She already knew the answer.

"He is over there," Marlene said. "I'm not sure that we are ready to talk yet."

"Of course," Lily agreed. She knew that they would get over themselves sooner or later, but she hoped it would be sooner.

"How long are we going to have to do this?" Alice asked

"Do what?" Marlene asked.

"Sit on the opposite side of the Great Hall from the boys," Alice said as if it was obvious.

"We did it with Lily for six years, Marlene reminded her.

"So Lily can't talk to James or Remus for six years?" Alice fired back.

"Of course not," Marlene said.

"And you are over him?" Alice challenged.

"Of course," Marlene said even though she wasn't fooling anyone.

"Prove it," Lily said, finally catching Alice's drift.

Marlene could never back down from a dare so she got up from the table. Lily and Alice watched as Marlene sat beside Peter diagonally across from Sirius. The exchanges a few polite words. Sirius finally looked up at her. He said something and she frowned. They stared at each other for a moment before they both smiled. The other marauders visibly relaxed.

Lily and Alice exchanged a look and got up from their seats. Lily sat down on the other side of Sirius and Alice moved next to Remus.

"Well that looked okay," Lily said.

"Very civil," James agreed.

They ate dinner and there was some tension, but less than Lily had expected. That was until, "I have to use the bathroom," Marlene said, shooting up from her chair.

She shot Lily and Alice a look, "We'll come," Lily volunteered. She grabbed Alice and all three of the walked out of the Great Hall. As soon as they had gotten out of the doors Marlene stopped in her tracks and turned around.

Lily and Alice stopped just short of hitting into their friend.

"I fucked up," she said.

"What?" Alice asked in surprise.

"Damn," Lily said. She owed James 5 galleons.

"I shouldn't have broken up with Sirius," Marlene confessed.

"We know," Lily said.

"Why didn't you stop me?" Marlene asked in quiet hysterics.

"We didn't know what you were going to do," Alice said defensively.

"Ugh," Marlene groaned. "Do you think I can undo it?"

"I would wait a week," Alice advised. "Then it makes it seem less like you made a mistake and more like you were taking him back, for him."

Hi! Don't forget to comment and vote if you have the chance. Thank you for the support! xoxo -Anne