Chapter 54

"Hello class," Professor Flitwick said. "I know that there will only be a few of you who are going to pay attention in my class for the rest of the year. That is until your OWLS scores come in."

Lily raised her hand.

"Ms. Evans," Professor Flitwick called on her.

"Do you know when we will get our results?"

The rest of the class signed collectively, at Lily's proactiveness and Lily ignored them.

"By the end of the month," their professor told them. Nine days.

"Thank you," Lily said.

"Of course," Flitwick said. "Now I have decided to give all of you all a free period today and for the rest of the week."

A cheer rose up from the class, and Lily suppressed a sigh.

"So go on and get out, before I change my mind," Flitwick said. His class got up quickly and left the classroom.

James led Lily out of the room and Marlene tried to get Lily to look at her.

"Come on, Lily," Marlene sighed.

Lily did not answer her, she walked right on ignoring her acquaintance. "Shouldn't you," James motioned to Marlene as he kept pace with Lily.

"I have nothing to say to her," Lily said.

"But you could," James said.

"Don't push this on me," Lily warned.

"You know I wouldn't," James told her. They walked to their common room to dump their books. Most of their other classes continued in the same fashion. Almost no classes even tried to teach until they got their OWLS scores.

Eventually the nine days passed, and Lily was still not talking to Marlene anymore than absolutely necessary. A flock of OWLS flew into the Great Hall dropping letters for all of the seventh years. Lily was so nervous when she saw that it was stamped from the Ministry of Magic.

"It's finally here," Alice said as she held her own letter.

"Yup," Sirius said. He ripped open his own letter with no ceremony. Lily leaned over so that she could read over his shoulder.

Sirius Black:

Potions. - A

Charms. -A

Transfiguration. -E

Herbology. -P

Care of Magical Creatures. -E

History of Magic. -D

Defence Against the Dark Arts. -O

"That's quite a good DADA score," Lily commended.

"Yeah," Sirius agreed.

"Your turn," he said. He reached for Lily's scores, but she held it just out of reach.

"I'll go," Alice volunteered hesitantly.

Alice Cooper:

Potions. - E

Charms. -O

Transfiguration. -O

Herbology. -E

Care of Magical Creatures. -E

History of Magic. -O

Defence Against the Dark Arts. -O

"Those are amazing scores, Ali," James said as Alice finished reading them aloud.