Chapter Twenty

Destiny

Destiny

I thought this dinner was going to be a terrible idea, especially with everything that was going on between Wes and I, but I was wrong. I was actually enjoying myself and I could tell that the twins loved having dinner with both me and Christian. It was literally the family dinner that none of us thought we'd ever have. 

Even though things were going great, I could tell Christian was a bit distant...sad even, especially after hearing all the stories about the twins when they were little. He hid his emotions behind small chuckles and smiles, but I could see his true emotions in his eyes.

"Dinner was delicious, Kyn." I said, as she and Kyron cleared the table.

"Yes it was. Your mother has taught you well." Christian said.

"Okay, don't give her all the praises, until you both taste my strawberry shortcake. Sit tight." Kyron said, as he and Kynlee left us alone. He glanced at me and I avoided his eye contact, taking a sip of my wine.

"Are you okay?" I looked up at him, furrowing my eyebrows, as I nodded my head.

"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well...you seemed a bit upset earlier when you arrived home, and I've noticed how out of it you've been all throughout dinner." He said.

"I could say the same about you." I said, cocking my head to the side. "But I'm just tired. I've had a really long day." I'm not even sure why I'm lying to him right now, but he didn't need to know what was going on in my private life. 

"You know you could never lie to me." I rolled my eyes, hating that after all this time...he could still see right through me. "I understand if you don't want to confide in me, but I hate knowing that something or someone has upset you." I took a deep breath, making sure the twins weren't coming, as I looked back into Christian's concerned eyes.

"I told Wes what happened between us the other night."

"Oh. And I take it that he was...upset?" He said.

"Furious would be a better word, but then he made a comment about how he shouldn't be upset because he knew something like this would happen."

"He...knew? As in...he knew you and I would kiss?" 

"I really don't know. I mean...unless he's psychic, there's no way he'd know that. Hell, we didn't even know that would happen." I huffed.

"True, and I know I shouldn't ask this, but...do you regret what happened between us? Because I don't." He murmured, as he reached over and grabbed my hand. I instantly got butterflies in my stomach from his touch, which made me physically sick to my stomach, because he still shouldn't have this type of affect on me.

"Christian..." I began, but was cut off by the twins loud voices.

"I hope you're both ready to be amazed!" Kyron said, as I quickly pulled my hand away from his. I really hope they didn't see that, otherwise I'd have to explain these feelings that I didn't even understand myself. 

*

"I had a great time tonight. Both the dinner and the dessert were amazing." Christian said, embracing both the twins in a hug. "Hopefully we can do this again soon."

"We'd really like that." Kynlee smiled.

"Right, but which did you like the best? Dinner or dessert? It's okay, you can be honest with us, we won't be upset." Kyron said. That boy there...always trying to turn everything into a competition.

"Seriously? You don't have to answer that."

"No, it's fine. I enjoyed both just the same. They were equally satisfying." Christian chuckled, making me smile a little. 

"Okay guys, go ahead and get started cleaning the kitchen. I'm going to walk him out." I said, as they gave him one last hug.

"Oh, one more thing. I was planning on taking Teddy and Phoebe to this trampoline park tomorrow and wanted to know if you both would like to join. Riley and Eli will be joining us also, and if you'd like...you can bring your brother and sister as well."

"A trampoline park? Count me in!" Kyron said.

"Yeah, that sounds like fun. Just text us the details and we'll be there." Kynlee added. They said their goodbyes, as Christian and I started walking towards his car. I'm not sure why, but being alone with him at this very moment made me nervous.

"I had a really great time tonight." He spoke, breaking the silence between us. "You raised two amazing kids."

"Thanks." I murmured, rubbing the back of my neck. "Listen Christian...I owe you a huge apology."

"An apology? For what?"

"For not making more of an effort to tell you about the twins. Had I just flown down here and told you in person, then you wouldn't have missed out on the last sixteen years of their lives. I've blamed you for so many things over the years, but...you didn't deserve it."

"Destiny..." He began, but I cut him off.

"Please...let me finish. I also know that you didn't necessarily cheat on me the night I caught you and Ana." I blurted out. "The twins told me what you told them, and honestly...I feel so stupid. I should've just heard you out, but instead I...I..." I felt the tears coming, as I took a deep breath.

"Hey, hey...stop that." He cupped my face in his hands, looking me deep in my eyes. "I was a terrible husband to you and I don't blame you for leaving me. That night was a huge mistake and I've spent the last sixteen years regretting every bad decision I have ever made, because it cost me to lose the best thing that has ever happened to me. Yes, I am hurt that I've missed out on watching the twins grow up, but I'm here now and I don't plan on missing another moment of their lives."

"I'd feel so much better if you hated me just a little bit." I sighed, laughing a little.

"I couldn't hate you even if I wanted to." He chuckled. "I have to get going, but how about we finish this conversation tomorrow night over dinner? My treat of course."

"Sure. I'd like that." He smiled and kissed my forehead, before taking a step back.

"I'll pick you up at eight." I nodded, watching as he climbed into the car. I sighed heavily as I turned and made my way back inside the house. Even after I threw a fit about not going on a date with my ex-husband, here I am...planning on having dinner with him tomorrow night. I mean...I guess this does work out in my favor, considering the fact that Wes did ask me to go on a date with him. Plus, this could be the only chance we have to get the closure we never really got before the divorce. To me, that's a win/win situation, right?