18. Remus' Place

-Naomi's POV-

Remus' cottage was a lovely, warm and a welcoming environment. He had gone to see this friend of his a couple of times so I had a few chances to look around and explore the grounds. He had a beautiful garden and the cottage was full of pictures of his friends from Hogwarts. He really does like chocolate. I mean, who else has a lock on their chocolate cupboard? He has been really kind to me and been patient with me. Whenever I have a nightmare, he'll come and sit with with me until I calm down. If I say something I shouldn't have, he simply tells me "don't say that" and then moves on. My bedroom is quite small. It has a single bed, a few plants, a bookshelf and a single window. A few days ago, Remus went to my house and picked up my stuff for me. He came back with a limp and told me he tripped. I know he didn't but I just went along with it. Today is a full moon and Remus has given me specific orders.

"Right so, you're going into the woods and I am to stay put here?"

"Yes."

"Why can't I come with you?"

"Because I could hurt you! How many times do we have to go over the plan, Naomi!?"

"I'm sorry Remus, it's just that, I don't want you to be alone"

"I'll be fine. I've been alone my whole life."

"What about at Hogwarts?"

"Can we please move on with this conversation? You are staying inside where it's safe"

"But-"

"No buts. I'm sure, if you did come with me and something were to happen, you'd know how to stop me as I read in all of your pieces of work last year. Oh yes, Severus knew what he was doing. Making you all write down on a piece of parchment 'how to kill a werewolf'. Now, you are going to stay put here. Because if you don't, I will-"

I started to shake.

"No no no, Naomi..... I would never..... I was just going to say, I will not be very pleased."

"Remus?"

"Yes?"

"You won't send me back to her, will you?"

"Well, Naomi. She is your mother so....."

"Please don't. Please?"

He lets out a long sigh before he sits down and rubs his temples.

"Look, Naomi. You can't live with me forever. I have things to do and people to see constantly-"

"Then I'll come with you!"

"I suppose that could be an option. But I'd have to speak with Si-"

"Speak with who? Remus?"

"Nobody."

"So I can live with you?"

"Naomi, I don't think you understand. I barely have enough money to support myself! I can't get a job because of my 'condition'-"

"That's fine. I don't need to eat most of the time and I've decided I probably should say in the house-"

"Enough! Naomi you can not live with me!"

Tears fill my eyes as I get up and run upstairs. I run into my room and cry into my pillow softly. He can't send me back, not there. Not to her. I feel safe here.

That night, I went back downstairs and saw Remus getting ready to leave.

"Oh, you're down?"

"I just came to say bye."

"Okay, well I'm sorry about earlier. I have to go now."

"Oh. Okay. Bye."

"I should be back in the morning. If I'm not, then you come and look for me, okay?"

"Yes, Remus"

"Good"

And with that, he left. I stood in the room for a moment, watching through the window as he disappeared into the woods. After that, I decided to go upstairs and read for a bit. While I was in bed, I heard howls coming from the woods. At eleven o' clock I got to tired to process any of the words in my book so I put it down and turned my lamp off. I lay in bed listening to the leaves rustle in the wind as the moonlight seeped into my room through my blinds.

The next morning I woke up to the sound of someone entering the house. I got up quickly and sprinted downstairs to see Remus who had just come through the door.

"Remus! You're back!"

"Calm down a bit, Naomi"

"Sorry"

"It's alight, just don't shout or anything. I have a bit of a headache."

"Do you want me to get you anything?"

"No, I'm alright"

"Okay, I go back to school tomorrow by the way"

"Yes, I know"

"I should probably take the night bus"

"I could drive you?"

"No, you need rest"

He smiled at me as I smiled back before I ran back upstairs to read again. The next morning I went downstairs and there was a note on the refrigerator. 

𝙽𝚊𝚘𝚖𝚒,

𝙸 𝚑𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚐𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚍𝚊𝚢. 𝚃𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚒𝚜 𝚏𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚑𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚎. 𝙸 𝚠𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚋𝚎 𝚋𝚊𝚌𝚔 𝚋𝚢 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚜𝚞𝚙𝚙𝚘𝚜𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚟𝚎 𝚜𝚘 𝚐𝚘𝚘𝚍 𝚕𝚞𝚌𝚔 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚊𝚢 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚘𝚕 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚢 𝚜𝚊𝚏𝚎.

𝚁𝚎𝚖𝚞𝚜.

I read the note before sighing and getting all of my school bags together. I eventually got onto the night bus and spoke with Stan for a bit before arriving at Hogsmeade and going back to the school.