E I G H T

DRIVE TO SURVIVE : EPISODE 2 : Better M̶a̶n̶ Woman

DRIVE TO SURVIVE
INTERVIEW WITH WILL BUXTON

"Formula One, is a male dominated sport. It always has been, however, things are starting to change." Will said as he talked to the camera man.

"Alfie Grattan is the first ever big change that has pushed the sport into the right direction. She came up from Formula Three after dominating the two seasons she raced, then moved up to Formula Two, where she was scouted by Fred Vassuer. Now she's in the big leagues, and really making a difference."

DRIVE TO SURVIVE
INTERVIEW WITH ALFIE GRATTAN

"I've always been told that I'll never make it, because I'm girl." Alfie explained. "But, if I'm honest it's that pissed of feeling I get from stuff like that, which drives me harder."

"I had quite a good upbringing. I had a lot of friends, uh two wonderful parents who loved me very much." She said with a chuckle. However, her face became more stern as she spoke her next words. "But, when I got into karting and said, I want to be a Formula One driver, a lot of that changed."

"All my friends, didn't see the point in as they called it 'driving around in circles' and they didn't understand why I thought I would do well."

"I would, loose focus in class, just thinking about driving and memerising different tracks and how fast I could go down a straight. Uh, did not go down well with my teachers at all. I was told, if I didn't pay attention I would fail at everything and I wouldn't be able to get a job when I was older. When I told them my plans they would literally laugh in my face and say I would have no opportunities at all . "

Alfie sighed."My mum wasn't the biggest fan of me risking my life and my dad didn't want his little girl in danger, so for the first five years of my interest in karting, I wasn't able to do it, because they were trying to turn me away from that sort of lifestyle."

"But then, we moved. Uh, so we moved to King's Lynn and that was where I met George and we both obviously shared the love of racing." Alfie grinned at the memories. "He actually once, took me to his karting track, we snuck of out school and we drove around on the track all day." She laughed with others in the room.

"When my parents found out that I was still hooked on the idea of being a racing driver, they gave in and started saving up for a go kart. I joined the same program George was on and the rest is history, I guess " she chuckled.

DRIVE TO SURVIVE
INTERVIEW WITH JENNIE GOW

"After Alfie Grattan's announcement that she would be joining F1, the world seemed to split into two. Half the fans thought it was a good change, making F1 more of an inclusive sport, and the other half seemed to think that Grattan wouldn't live up to that standard that drivers are expected to have. " Jennie sighed."It was very hard for her to come into the sport, especially with social media accounts, being harrased with messages from people telling her she wouldn't succeed."