T E N

magazines

AUTOSPORT MAGAZINE
JULY 15TH 2020

THE 2020 Formula One season has been a thriller so far. From new podium sitters, crashes and changes in different team's driver line ups, F1 fans have been thriving.

One of the biggest stories at theoemnt however, is based around Alfa Romeo's shining star Alfie Grattan, and her suprise move to Renault F1 to replace Daniel Ricciardo.

Earlier this year, Ricciardo (age 30) announced that he would be leaving [Renault] to drive for Mclaren alongside young hot-shot Lando Norris, who has just become an F1 Podium sitter (Page 22).

After only Twenty Four hours to process this information, F1 fans were hit with the news that Grattan (age 21) would be replacing Ricciardo [at Renault]. This caused a few eyebrows to raise around the world, especially at Alfa Romeo, who had just seemingly let go their future star.

Before Grattan's move to Renault was announced, Alfa Romeo released two statements, one claiming that Kimi Raikkonen (2007 World Champion) would continue to drive for the Italian team for another year, and another claiming that Antonio Giovinazzi, (age 25) rising Formula Two star would claim the second seat, leaving Grattan team less for 2021.

Giovinazzi and Grattan have history together, both on ams off track. Through their teenage careers, they raced against eachother on multiple occasions, which would result in Grattan's victory, rather than Giovinazzi's.

Whilst Giovinazzi was age 17, and Grattan (who had just turned) age 15, rumours and speculations were made about the pair being romanticly involved. Grattan herself was quick to shut these rumours down during a press conference with fellow driver (and friend) George Russell, where she stated that she the Italian Racer "never spoke two words to eachother off track. These [rumours] are just rumours."

Considering the age difference between the two, (whilst Giovinazzi became 'a legal adult', Grattan was still attending Comprehensive School), Grattan's shut down of these speculations was believed, and the topic hadn't been brought up for the duration of their Formula Three career.

However, now that Alfa Romeo have confirmed Giovinazzi's drive for next season, the topic of conversion around the paddock focused on the two racers, and their supposed 'ex-relationship'.

When looking at statistics from their Junior careers, it is clear to see that Grattan herself had more luck. The British racer won multiple races, and came very close the beating Russell in the F2 championship in 2018, whereas Giovinazzi has settled for 6th.

In an interview with Motorsport magazine a week ago, Antonio talked about the situation he and Alfa Romeo are in now that his seat has been confirmed:

"We [himself and team boss Frederick Vassuer] know how we want our 2021 season to play out, and we know how to work our way through this season behind the scenes to ensure we are ready to race in March next year."

Vassuer has made many statements about the situation at hand, dismissing any thoughts the public might have about sexism being a reason Giovinazzi was offered the seat, claiming that Grattan "is just not what we'reooking for now"

Fans began to worry about Grattan's survival in F1, until Renault released a statement, confirming her drive for 2021.

This came as a shock to a few fans, as there head been talks about former driver Fernando Alonso (who won the 2006 World Championship with Renault) coming back to F1 via the French team, however, the feedback that Grattan has received proves that the public believe her move to Renault will be the right one.