T W E N T Y T W O

sun-kissed

It had been a few days since Alfie had returned home, and she still hadn't called George.

She had tried, but everytime she unlocked her phone, went into her contacts and found George's number, she'd hesitate before eventually turning the phone off.

Diana and Henry had left Alfie to rest for a while, refusing to let her do anything around the house. It was driving Alfie mad. They were treating her like a hospital patient, and not being able to do anything was eating her up inside.

One day, when Alfie was up in her room, mindlessly scrolling through her phone, for lack of anything better to do, when she heard the door knock downstairs, she went to get up, but Diana walked passed her room, looking at her through the open doorway. "Don't worry love I'll get it."

Before Alfie could argue, Diana had headed down the stairs and into the hallway. Alfie heated the door open, and muffled talking, and then footsteps. "Alf sweetheart!" Diana called up from the bottom of the stairs. "It's for you."

Alfie frowned to herself before standing up and heading downstairs. She gave her mother a confused look when she reached her. "Who?"

Diana gave her a small sympathetic smile and rubbed her shoulder. "Just go greet them." before she headed up the stairs.

Alfie was even more confused. She shook her head and walked out onto the hallway and towards the door. There was a man stood in the doorway, his back facing her, but she knew who it was.

"George?"

George turned around and began to talk before Alfie could stop him. "Look I know you probably don't want to see me but I needed to talk to you. It was killing me and-"

"George." Alfie cut in, before he began to ramble. George abruptly stopped himself, and looked at Alfie, waiting for her to say something.

Alfie bit the inside of her cheek as she looked at George. He looked rough. He had large bags under his eyes from where he hadn't slept, and his hair seemed messy. She sighed before turning her head to check no one was behind her.

She turned back to George. "Not here. They don't know." she said, referring back to her parents.

George's face turned into an expression of relief and nodded. "I'll go wait in the car for you." he said.

Alfie nodded at him, and went to shut the door so she could go change upstairs, but George placed his hand on the door. "Thank you."

"I haven't forgiven you yet. Just, get in the car." Alfie said, in an attempt to brush it off.

George nodded and walked towards the car. Alfie shut the door and ran upstairs, grabbing some clothes to change into. "Mum!" she called out when she was slipping on her shoes.

Diana poked her head into the room. "Yes love?" Alfie stood up and headed out of her room standing next to her mother. "I'm going out for a drive with George."

Diana nodded. "Okay, is everything alright? He didn't look okay when I answered the door."

Alfie nodded, giving her mother a half hearted smile. "Yeah, he's okay" she answered hesitantly.