BONUS : Stressed

"uh oh there it goes
i said too much it overflowed
why do i always spill"
- soap melanie martinez

part one

Alfie was stressed. She was flicking back and forth between wedding magazines, trying to find the perfect dress for her to wear. They had set a date, and it was in nine months. Alfie had procrastinated getting a dress, knowing how much they could cost. She and George had focused on other things before Alfie looked at dresses, so she knew she had enough money to buy something she really liked.

George was sat on the sofa, watching Alfie flip through the pages, an anxious look on her face. He sat up slightly and sighed. "Why are you so stressed about some dress?"

Alfie didn't look up from the magazine as she answered his question. "I don't know George, why were you so stressed about some Mercedes?" she spoke, referring to when George insisted on having a specific Mercedes to transport them to the venue.

George frowned at her harsh tone, "Well I drive for Mercedes, and this wedding is going to be all over Social Media. I can't exactly turn up in an Ferrari can I?"

At this, Alfie paused and looked up from the magazine she was holding, "What about me though George? Maybe Marcin wanted me to turn up in an Alpine. But, no because you want a Mercedes?"

George scoffed. "Alpine is hardly a championship winning car though love. And you never know, maybe if we stick with the Merc Toto might know you're willing to work with Mercedes."

Alfie stared at her fiancé in disbelief. "I don't want to drive for Mercedes thanks." she said firmly. "I'm quite happy where I am at the moment."

"You're not winning any races Alf. I mean come on, you beat me to the F3 championship by miles, you could easily fight Max for a championship if you wanted to in the second Merc." George said as Alfie dropped the magazine down onto the table furiously.

"Do you not remember what happened the last time I tangled with Verstappen?" she asked, mouth slightly open.

George raised his eyebrows. "What so you're scared of Verstappen now? Is that was this is?"

The Grattan girl rolled her eyes. "I'm not scared. If I was I wouldn't still be doing this job. Besides, Alpine is a race winning car. Esteban in Hungary?"

"Yeah well he only won cause half the grid were taken out by the first corner." George muttered to himself, but it was louder than he had expected, and Alfie heard him.

"You're first points were with Williams that race. I'd be careful."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that if Esteban only won because half the grid was taken out maybe you only scored points because you didn't have the usual people in the top ten to hold you off." Alfie said, glaring at him. "Everyone not involved benefited from that crash, including you."

George stared at her shaking his head slightly. "That was a dick move."

"Yeah? Well trying to control my career was a dick move." Alfie fired back. She looked back down at the magazines and started to flip through them again, until George's voice interrupted her again. "What are you doing now?"

"Painting a picture George, what do you think I'm doing?" She uttered sarcastically.

"Alfie it's just a dress."

"It's not just a dress, it's a dress I'm going to be photographed in for an entire day, and the photos are going to be all over social media forever. This is the most important day of my life George. It has to be perfect."

George still didn't understand, and now he was getting frustrated. "You're going to wear it fucking once!"

"I'm only going to have one fucking wedding!" Alfie retorted, her voice the same level as his now.

"You're being irrational."

"And you're being unhelpful."

"For god sake you're acting so much like Bette right now!"

The look on George's face showed he knew he had gone too far. He'd said too much.

Alfie stared at him, an expression on betrayal across her features. George knew exactly how she felt about Bette.

Wordlessly, Alfie stood up from her seat, grabbing her bag and walking towards the door. George moved to grab her arm and pull her back, but she yanked it from his grasp. "Don't."

"Alfie please just wait-"

"I'm going out."

"Alfie please!"

But the door had already been slammed shut.

————

um

hi?

oh god yall hate me now don't you