T H I R T E E N

home again

Alfie had returned to the UK after a long weekend at Hungary. After finishing 13th, her best finish from the season, she was looking forward to having a night in with her parents.

She was not however looking forward to seeing her Uncle and cousin. True she'd have George with her, but any meal with her cousin wasn't a meal worth sacrificing a Tuesday evening for.

Her and George had driven from the airport up to Alfie's House, George in the drivers seat, the pair blasting music through the CD player.

When they arrived at the house, they were met with the unusual sight of Diana and Henry packing the boot of Henry's car franticly. Alfie and George frowned at eachother before stepping out of the car. "Mum? You alright?" Alfie said as they approached the couple

Diana looked up from the boot at her daughter and walked over embracing her in a hug. "Hiya Alfie darling. Great race."

"Thanks Mum." Alfie said, smiling slightly.

Diana turned to George. "You too Mr. Saturday." she teased. Alfie snickered and George chuckled. "Thank you Mrs. Grattan."

Diana instantly frowned at him. "How many times have I told you to call me Diana?"

George winced. "More than enough."

Diana chuckled. She turned back to Alfie and sighed. "It seems your Uncle has had a bit of a breakdown. Your father and I are going there tonight to give him a bit of comfort."

Alfie went to speak, but Diana interrupted. "I know, it's not ideal. If I'm being honest, the man is being slightly dramatic."

Alfie held in her laugh as Diana continued. "But unfortunately, your father insists on sticking to the 'brother code' or something... anyways-" she turned to George, "I know this is a big last minute ask but, would you be able to stay with Alf for the night?"

"Oh Mum he doesn't need to-"

George cut in before Alfie could say anymore. "Of course. I've got spare clothes I didn't wear at Hungary and we can stop off at mine in the morning so I can change into something more sophisticated."

Alfie glanced up at George. "Are you sure? I mean, don't you want to just go home? You've had a long weekend." She tried to reason.

George waved a dismissive hand. "Nonsense."

Diana smiled at him fondly. "Thank you George."

"No problem."

The three heard the voice of Henry shouting for his wife. "Diana love are you ready?" He spotted his daughter and George stood on the driveway and walked up to them, embracing Alfie in a right hug. "Alf you were brilliant in the race."

Alfie hugged her father tightly. "Thanks Dad."

Henry turned to George and held his hand out for the other man to take. "Brilliant driving this weekend mate."

George shook the man's hand, a proud expression on his face. "Thank you Sir, but nothing could compare to your daughters racing this weekend. She was so close to points at one stage."

Diana took this moment to speak up about something that had been boiling up from last night. "Yes until they messed up your pitstop. God knows what happened."

Alfie sighed. "Mum it wasn't their fault. I drove to far forward, they had to move up to the car to get the wheels off-"

"Alf darling it's okay. You're mother's being dramatic."