F I F T E E N

dinner

"Hi Bette

"Hi Bette." Alfie said weakly.

This was the part she had been dreading.

Bette gave her cousin a very fake smile, "Alfie, wonderful to see you again." she turned to George, and her expression changed, into something more welcoming. "George. How are you?"

George gave her a half hearted smile. "Good thanks. You?"

"Ugh. I've had an earfull of it from Dad since Mum left. It's been non stop."

Alfie tried to hold her tougne, knowing that if she said something even mildly sarcastic, Bette would have her burned at the stake.

Thankfully, Diana walked back into the room at that precise moment."Drinks are coming around now. Oh, hello Bette dear, sorry, you weren't down when we asked about drinks. I suppose you'll have to go ask Henry for one. Do you mind if I have a quick word with my daughter?" she said rather quickly, so Bette couldn't inttupt.

"Of course Aunt Diana."

"Just Diana will do love."

Bette glared at the back of Diana's head as she went into the kitchen. Diana sat back down on the sofa, and Alfie and George did the same. Henry came in to five George and Alfie their drinks, before going back out to get his, Marvin's and Diana's."There you go. Bar maid hands." he teased.

Bette seemed to be struggling in the Kitchen; her frustratated sighes could be heard from the living room. Diana. rolled her eyes, and went to stand up, but Alfie placed a hand on her mother's shoulder. "Let's do rounds. I'll go."

Diana gave her daughter a thankful look before sitting back down. Alfie walked into the kitchen, and watched Bette struggle for a while. The wine she wanted was right at the top of the cupboard. It was rather amusing.

"Need some help?"

"No"

Alfie held up her hands in defence, and continued to watch her cousin struggle. "You know, I don't think someone of our height will be able to reach that."

"Yes thank you Alfie. That's incredibly helpful."

"Well you said you didn't want it."

Bette turned to glare at her. "George is tall. Go get him to get the bottle."

Alfie returned the glare. "No. He's not running around for you like a servant. I'm sure if you asked nicely him like a human being he'd gladly help."