E L E V E N

1 step forward... 3 steps back

Hungary.

George had been dreading this weekend... something he never did. But of course... he knew the exact reason he was slightly nervous.

He hadn't spoken to Alfie after their interaction at the airport, as he spent the week overhinking his feelings, trying to decipher why he felt weird around his best friend.

Throughout their childhood, George and Alfie spent almost everyday together. They experienced so many things as a pair, their first karting championship, first F3 race, and even their first kiss.

They were 16 at the time, Alfie was fed up of all her other friends having boyfriends, and experiencing their first kisses, and being romantic. George too had been one of the only boys in their year at school to not have a first kiss. One day, Allison and Diana took the pair to a local beach for the day, and whilst the two adults where tanning and gossiping about their work, George and Alfie had gone exploring in a cave.

They had sat watching the waves and chatting about F1 for a while until their topic of conversation turned to relationships. It had been George who had suggested that the two of them have their first kiss together, to get it out of the way.

It was quick, awkward, and they both swore to never do it again.

But now, George couldn't even hold her hand without getting an unfamiliar sensation in his chest. He thought he would eventually go mad from the feeling.

It didn't help Alfie had posted a picture on Instagram two days ago, in which she was posing infront of a large cherry blossom tree, in a dress which hugged her curves perfectly, her confidence shining through the phone. She had looked very attractive.

'But this is stupid. She's my best friend.' he told himself. Multiple times.

He'd managed to push his thoughts aside before the weekend, and slept through his flight to Hungary, refusing to let his thoughts consume him before a big race. On the Friday, He walked into the paddock, ready for first practise adorned in his Williams Team kit, hair blowing slightly in the wind. Before he was able to reach the Williams garage, he heard voices coming from ahead of him, and as he drew closer saw Kota and Alfie sitting down on a patch of grass laughing.

George examined Alfie as he approached them, her Alfa Romeo shirt falling just across her thighs, hair perfectly done up in a half up half down style, keeping most of it out of her face. Hazel eyes filled with happiness as she double over from laughter, nose scrunched up.

Great.

Before he could escape into the saftey of his garage, Alfie spotted him as she recovered from her fit of laughter. "Hey George!"

George turned around and was met with the smiling face of his best friend. "Hey Alf."

Kota gave George a wave as a means of greeting, then checked her phone. "I'd love to stay and chat but the boss man is calling." She said referring to Daniel. "He's probably lost his gloves again. Idiot." She gave Alfie one last hug before retreating back towards the Renault garage.

Alfie jogged up to George who smiled. There was no point in him dwelling on these feelings, they would go away soon enough.