Chapter 1- Leading up to the war.

We walk in a comfortable silence down the silent streets of Small Heath. Our hands entwined and big smiles on our faces. Thomas just took me out for dinner after I finished my shift at the local bakery. It was very sweet and romantic of him but I felt bad because he wasted his hard earned money on me. I turn to glance at him and see his blue ocean eyes on me, with a big smile placed on his beautiful face.
"Thank you."
"For what?"
"Tonight."
"You deserved it love."
I look at down at my feet trying to hide the blush on my cheeks. Suddenly we come to a halt and Tommy spins me around. He uses his index finger to bring my face up to his and then he kisses me. It was gentle and sweet and I could feel his smile. He pulls away shortly after and we both get lost in each others eyes.
"I love you Tommy!"
He goes completely still and his face turns into a thin line. It was a little soon but I couldn't help it, though I am now starting to regret it as normally you can read Tommy like a book. He quickly searches my face and then smiles pulling me closer. He cups my face and stares into my blue eyes.
"I love you too Sophie!"
All the nerves suddenly leave and he quickly pulls me back into another kiss, this time desperate and wanting. We pull away to breathe and he looks at me cheekily before grabbing my hand and running away with me following.
We arrive at Tommy's house out of breath but longing for each other. Without wasting another minute he pulls me in and up straight to his room. I giggle as I try to keep up with his pace. Finally we get into his room and I glance around it, me and Thomas have been dating for five months and tonight was the first time I have been in his room and the first time we have said we love each other. Some folks may think that we are rushing but it honestly feels like we have known each other all our lives. I take in his room which was plain and spacious but nice. And when I turn around I see him watching my every move. I giggle and walk over to him, once in front of him we kiss.
My head was resting on Tommy's chest and his arm was wrapped around my waist, both of us try to catch our breaths. Tonight had been the most amazing night I have ever had and I can tell that he was thinking the same.
"Tommy?"
"Yes, love?"
"How's work?"
"Usual, do not worry 'bout it love."
"I know but you work so hard."
He nods and sighs before kissing my forehead. Tommy works really hard and its hard seeing him exhausted all the time especially because of his work. He provides for his family as well as his brothers but Finn's too young to work. I feel for the family and I would love to help but I also have to help provide for mine. My father works full time in the factory and my mother works at the bakery with me.
"Go sleep love."
"You need to as well."
He laughs but nods agreeing with me. We say goodnight and then fall asleep in each others arms. I dream about my love and become equally as happy as when I'm awake.
~ Four months later ~
I got a letter from Tommy earlier this morning saying that after his shift I need to go to his. The rest of the day dragged on and I was becoming more worried. I had a feeling I knew what this was about because my father had told me a few days ago that he had signed up to protect his country and king. Me and my mother were in shock and there had been an argument between my parents but after a day or two they made up, fearing that these last few moments could be the only ones left.
It was now time for me to leave for his house. I cross my fingers and pray that this wasn't what I thought it was. I arrive at his and slowly knock on the door, my nerves were eating me away and my heart was beating fast. The door creaks open to reveal Thomas stood their with a small smile on his face. I look into his eyes and see that they are holding mixed emotions of fear, excitement, proudness and guilt. He has. My heart drops and I barge past him and into his living room that has all his family there.
"Sophie?"
I look at all of them and see that the three oldest brothers have the same look in their eyes while the others look confused and scared. I snap round to Tommy who is looking at me confused.
"How could you?"
His confusion turns into guilt and sadness. While the others look at me shocked.
"You Know?"
"Do they?"
I point at his two youngest siblings and his poor aunt. He shakes his head and my heart drops. A tear slips down my cheek and I get a lump in my throat.
"Know what?"
Polly looks between us confused while I shake my head, maybe I have it wrong. Maybe I have assumed something else.
"Tell 'em Tommy."
He looks at me sad and then him, Arthur and John step forwards in front of everyone while I step back. Ada, Finn and Polly look at me and then their family who look like they don't have a choice but to do this.
"We signed up, we're going to war."
My heart feels like it just got ripped in half and it got worse when I heard Polly's painfully scream. It gets harder to breath and Polly collapses to the floor. I back up to the wall and slide down it, curling up into a ball and crying. A couple seconds pass until two strong arms wrap around me, hushing me and reassuring that it will be okay. But it wont.
~ Two months later ~
Today was the day! All the men who were brave enough to serve their country but idiots for doing so go off to war. I had spent all my spare time with either my dad or Tommy and his family before they leave. I got up early this morning, barely able to get a decent nights sleep because of the fear and nerves. I slip into my short flowery dress and decided to make a big breakfast that the family can enjoy. Once my parents wake up, they get ready and come downstairs. I turn around and place the last plate of food on the table while greeting my parents with a sad smile. Father was dressed in his uniform while mother had gone with a plain but nice dress. They send me a sad but grateful smile while we all take a seat, digging in and talking about anything and everything we can.
"Yeah and when father was so drunk that he thought the table was an elevator!"
We all burst out laughing. By the time we had stopped laughing we were all clutching our stomachs and gasping for air. We carry on talking about more memories until it was time to leave.
This was the part I was dreading, the goodbyes. We all arrive at the train station and meet up with the Shelby's. The men going off to war all had the same camouflaged uniform and all looked proud with a hint of worry. My heart stung but I tried my best to smile. As soon as I see Tommy I run over and hug him.
"Oh Tommy! I'm going to miss you, please stay as safe as possible!"
He chuckles and hugs me as tight as he could. I didn't want him to leave, I didn't want any of them to leave but it wasn't my choice and I had to deal with that. My heart stung and I started crying, he could die and this could be the last time I see him. He pulls away and wipes away my tears, smiling.
"Don't cry love! I will be back!"
I let out a sad sigh whilst nodding. I look up at him and smile the best I could. Then he suddenly pulls me into a passionate kiss. We kiss for as long as we could but we had to pull away to say bye to the others. Before walking back over to the others I look him in the eyes and ask him to make a promise.
"Promise me you wont forget 'bout me."
"I could never forget 'bout you love."
I smile and then we walk over to the others. I hug the men going off to war and say how I will miss them. They all smile and eventually the train pulls in, this is it. I clear my throat before they could walk off which makes them turn to look at me confused.
"You all better make it back, you 'ear me!"
They chuckle and promise me. We all do a quick group hug and then they run off towards the train waving goodbye at the same time. Once they had clambered onto the train and found a compartment they stick their heads out and wave at us until the train pulls away. Mother, Polly and I start crying while Finn and Ada look at us confused, they didn't fully understand what was going on and if anything happens to them it would crush them.