Chapter 32- Lies

I was sat waiting impatiently on my sofa with a glass of whiskey in my hand. It had only been an hour but I was getting worried and annoyed that it has taken this long. They could be doing anything which makes my mind run in circles of all ifs and what's they could be doing. I groan before downing the rest of my drink and grumpily walking up to my room to change into some pyjamas.

Around half an hour later I hear a knock at my door which causes my stomach to fill with butterflies. I run down my stairs and to my door before hesitantly pulling it open.

"Tommy."

I move to the side so he can come in and then I shut the door . He smells how he did before he left which fills me with relief as I guide him up to my bedroom.

"Are you staying Thomas?"

"Only if you want me to Sophie."

I nod at him and pull him over to my bed. I Chuck myself onto my soft bed and quickly get comfortable as Tommy gets undressed. Once he's done he slides in next to me and wraps his arm around me while I rest my head on his chest.

"I went straight to the garrisons-" 

"Sophie tells me you've been asking questions. About how we run our business. And how we get our booze and where we keep it." 

Grace looked stunned as she turned around after locking up the doors. I watch as she quickly tries to think of what to say. 

"I'm just trying to help." 

I nod my head slightly at her knowing that I can't trust her as I too have done my research on her. I push myself off of the coal cart and walk over to Grace. 

"Let's you and me go for a walk." 

I start to stroll away while Grace watches me with an unsure look on her face. 

"Where to?" 

I roll my eyes and trying to stay patient but I just want to get this over with so I can go see Sophie. 

"Come on." 

She follows me as I lead us to the church. It's dark in the streets with barely any light and it's quite. 

We arrive at the church and I push open the doors to the dimly lit church and take my hat off. Behind me, Grace sighs and I hold the door open for her to walk in which she does. 

"Why here?" 

I close the door gently as she slowly walks in and looks around. Once she's done inspecting it she turns to me with a uncertain look but I just walk past her. 

"You're a good catholic girl, aren't you?" 

"Yes." We start to walk down the aisle towards the glass windows and brightly lit candles. We walk side by side but stay silent. 

"Well, then you know it's here people come to confess." 

We reach the end of the aisle and I stop next to the chair and usher her to sit down in one. She looks at me with a blank face but walks past me to sit in one. 

"After you." 

I stay standing in the same position, still facing forward until she took a seat. I then sit down next to her with a sigh before speaking up again. 

"Well, here it is, Grace. I'll confess. I need someone. Kimber had an adviser by the name of Roberts. He talks well. He keeps the accounts. He runs the legal side of the business." 

"And you need a Roberts." 

"Arthur and Sophie tell me you have ideas." 

"I'm not an accountant, nor a lawyer."