Chapter 9- Suspicion.

It was Saturday which meant that we had a long shift that starts early and ends late. I went bed early last night to make sure I got a goodnights sleep in which I did. And had a warm bath this morning to wake me up as well as keeping me clean.
The streets were busy with factory workers running around to get to work and children playing with each other. The happy children make me excited to have a little child running around but that will have to wait until the future.
After arriving early I debate on weather to go in or to go for a small walk but I know Harry wouldn't mind so I slip in. I look around and see Harry is not here yet so I let out a huff. But then I see Grace slip into the back room and suspiciously look around. I decide to be nosy and listen into what she's doing.
"Inspector Campbell!"
Why is she talking to that Irish copper? I scoot a little closer so I can hear better. I thought it was suspicious that she came here the same time as him.
"Sir, I know Thomas is the leader of the Peaky Blinders so I am going to 'ave to get close."
Is she going to rat Tommy out? Oh I so have to tell Tommy before he gets too close to her.
"There's a slight problem though."
Does Tommy know?
"Shall I meet you there? Okay."
She then puts the phone down which makes me jump. I quickly run to the door and open it with a bit of a bang so it looks like I had just got here. She walks out of the room and round to the bar.
"Grace."
I nod my head at her as a greeting because if I say alright Grace she would know somethings up.
"Sophie."
I feel her eyes burning into my skin as I walk over to the bar.
"Where's Harry?"
"He's going to be late."
I nod my head and then we both start cleaning the bar and tables in silence.
The day so far has gone smooth with quite a few costumers coming in, some were confused that I was still alive. Unfortunately I haven't seen Thomas yet so I am starting to get inpatient. But as if he heard my thoughts, he bursts in with John by the side of him. He looks directly at me and winks. I look down so that he cant see my blush that now covers my cheeks and let a small smile play on my lips. Grace notices and scoffs but I ignore her, she's just jealous that it wasn't to her. 
Tommy and John had been in the snug for a while before anyone else came in to join them. There was nothing unusual about that except instead of calling me he calls Grace. I tried not to think anything of it I couldn't help it and maybe he did not wink at me but at her. I try to shake off that thought and carry on with work but it stays present, taunting me. Having enough, I slap the cloth down and storm over to Harry.
"Harry? I need to leave. I'll come back later."
Harry turns to face me with a shocked face but slowly nods. I hug him which makes him even more shocked then I grab my jacket and leave. Just as I was about to walk out of the door someone calls my name, I turn around to see Thomas lent against the door to the snug. I frown and walk over.
"Leaving so soon?"
"What do you want Thomas?"
"Thomas, aye?"
"Fine then Mr Shelby."
"What's up with ya', aye?"
"Nothin' Thomas!"
I walk away but just as I was about to walk out the door I stop. Slowly I turn around and secretly usher him to follow me. I don't wait to see if he follows me or not. Halfway down the road, I feel a hand grab me and pull me down a alleyway. I try to scream but a hand goes round my mouth stopping any sound from escaping. They then turn me around and I am met with Tommy's striking blue eyes.
"Don't worry. Its only me!"
He slowly removes his hand as I let out a shaky breath. Suddenly, I hurl around and stamp on his foot before taking a step back. Tommy hisses out in pain, his eyes now telling me that he's angry.
"Do not do that ever again!"
"What's fucking wrong with you?"
"I asked you to follow me because I have something to tell you."
"What might that be?"
"Your pretty, little barmaid, Grace is working for that Irish copper. I believe his name is Campbell."
"And how do you know that?"
"Heard her talking on the telegraph to him. They were talking about you actually."
His face goes rock hard and his jaw clenches. I know what Thomas is capable off so I take another step back.
"Anything important?"
"Oh, just how she needs to get close to you and that they have a slight problem. Unfortunately for you they didn't say what that was. Also they are meeting somewhere but I don't know where."
"Best keep an eye on her."
I nod and then start to walk away. I have said what I needed to say so its best to get back to work.
"Oh and Sophie?"
I stop dead in my tracks again and sigh. Now what? There was a little pause before he finally decided to speak again.
"Your dad is now a Peaky Blinder."
"Tell Harry I wont be returning tonight."
I start to walk home still in complete shock about the new information about my dad. Once arriving home, I run straight to my mother. Does she know? She turns to me confused and hugs me.
"I thought you were working late."
"I was but Thomas informed me that father is now a Peaky Blinder!"
She steps back, letting go of me, her face turns into a stiff frown.
"So, that's his job!"
I nod slowly, she tries to walk away but I grab her arm, gently pulling her back.
"I'll go speak to Tommy, okay?"
"Fine!"
With one last huff she storm out of the room and upstairs to her bedroom. What has father done? What has Tommy done?
After around an hour of searching for Tommy I give up. That man is either hiding from me or is busy. I casually make my way back home again, looking behind me and around me cautiously. Pushing open the front door and walking in, I chuck my coat on the table and kick my shoes off.
"Your in a fucking gang! Your a Peaky Blinder!"
"I'm safe! Plus I did this for the family!"
"You have put us all in danger!"
"I've given us protection!"
The sound of my parents arguing fills up the whole house. They rarely argued and when they did it was something serious. I let out a grunt before walking to their room. I hate when my parents argue but I think I'm thankful that they rarely do. Imagine being in a marriage were all you do is argue, I would hate it. I knock on the door before walking in.
"Please can we stop arguing?"
They both turn to me and look at each other. Mother then motions me to take a seat which I obey.
"We're sorry, hunny."
"Mam I know your scared but I'll make sure Tommy looks after him."
"I know but it's not safe."
"We were never safe anyways. We know Tommy and his family so we could of been targeted either way."
"Alright."
We all do a family hug and then go downstairs for dinner.