Chapter 11- The big decision.

A wide smile appears on my face when I walk into the house to find mother and father sat at the table talking. Both had smiles on their faces that match with their eyes. I let out a content sigh and then walk over to them. This is it!
"Father. Mother. I have something I need to tell you."
They both look at me, their smiles disappear and a confused poker face replaces it.
"I personally don't think it's bad news. I think it's a new independence."
"Alright honey. What is it?"
"Well...I have decided that I want to move out and get me own house."
I quickly close my eyes shut tightly and hold my breath. I confusedly and slowly open my eyes still expecting to feel my parents wrath but it didn't come instead they had their smiles back. My eyebrows cock up and I scan over both of them cautiously.
"You guys aren't angry?"
"Why would we be angry honey?"
"This is a good thing, your finally being an independent young women. Right Anne?"
My mother nods her head agreeing with my father. I smack my hand over my heart and pout, pretending to be hurt. They let out a chuckle before standing up, engulfing me in a hug. I let out a happy sigh and hug them back. We had overcome so much and I'm glad that they are allowing this.
"I love you both!"
My parents step away and show off their proud smile which makes me mimic it.
"We love you too! Now go upstairs and get changed, dinner at Polly's tonight."
I giggle at them before running off to my bedroom. Plain black dress or a light flowery one? It was a hard decision but I chose the black dress because it was equally as elegant but not too done up.
I walk downstairs and my parents smile at me pleased that I am happy. We link arms and happily walk down the streets, laughing.
"So, when are you going to go look at houses?"
"Tomorrow before my shift."
"Ah, okay."
We arrive shortly after and come face to face with an angry Ada. She gives my parents an apologetic smile before she grabs my arm and forcefully pulls me upstairs to her room. She pushes me on her bed and then jumps down next to me.
"I fucking hate my brother!"
She lets out a frustrated sigh and pulls on her hair. I giggle at her whilst pulling her into a hug.
"Which one?"
"Tommy!"
"Oh! I hate him with a passion too."
We both giggle like a bunch of school girls and then I raise my eyebrows at her in a suggestive way.
"So, how's Freddy?"
"We are fine. Now shush before someone hears."
"Still haven't told them, wow!"
She rolls her eyes while I giggle even more. Unfortunately, we get interrupted by Thomas opening the door, a scowl on his face. Me and Ada look at each other with wide eyes. Oh shit! Did he hear?
"Pols says dinners ready."
I nod at him which gives a signal to leave. We stay quiet until we hear his heavy footsteps thumping down the stairs. I turn to Ada which makes both of us burst out laughing. I accidently lean too far back and fall off the bed with a loud thump. We wait until we can both breathe before Ada launches me upwards and then we make our way downstairs.
"Sorry! I needed to steal Sophie."
"No problem."
Polly steps forwards and pulls me into a tight hug. I hug her back and she leans over, whispering into my ear.
"Alright love. Glad to see you again."
"Its nice to see you too Pols."
She pulls back with a small smirk on her usual poker face. I quickly smile back at her before taking a seat between Ada and John. I lean over to Ada so only she can hear me.
"Why was you angry at him?"
"I'll tell you after dinner."
I nod my head and join in with the main conversation everyone else is having. Polly had made her famous stew which is delicious.
"Sophie, your parents have told us your moving out."
"Ugh...Yeah."
"Apparently, your searching tomorrow?"
"Yes Pols."
"Well Tommy could go with you, if you would like?"
I glance at Tommy who is staring intensely at Polly. I gulp and awkwardly shake my head.
"I don't think he wants to plus I can go by myself."
"Tommy does want to go but he's angry at me for telling you."
"Fuck off Polly before I put a bullet between your eyes!"
She smirks at him while he lights a cigarette and rolls his eyes. I chuckle at him then before carrying on eating. Shortly after we all finish and Polly brings out an apple pie. A waft of it fills the air and it smells fruity and sweet.
"Smells good Pols!"
"John you are such a pig!"
He chuckles and grabs a slice, scoffing it in his mouth. Me and Arthur chuckle at him whilst the others watch in disgust.
I walk down the street whilst rummaging threw my bag trying to find the piece of paper that has the address on it. I then come face to face with someone's chest. As fast as I can could, I back away.
"I'm so sorry!"
I look up and find Tommy's face. I blush a little when his gorgeous blue meet mine.
"I was looking for you."
"What! Why?"
"Thought you knew, aye?"
I decide not to question him any further about this but I do shake my head as a reply.
It only took five minutes to get to the house I was viewing. And it wasn't exactly special, it looked like every other house in Small Heath. It wasn't any better inside either, it smelt like death, was extremely dirty and the floor boards were squeaky. The owner of the house was clearly ashamed when he saw Thomas with me but I made sure he did not say anything.
"Definitely not!"
We step into the quiet street, wiping our hands and cloths down. I have a good feeling and idea about what to do with the house but Thomas is disgusted.
"Why not, I can fix it up and make it smell better."
"Fine. Only if you let my men fix it up!"
"No, I want to do this myself."
"Sophie!"
We stop in the middle of the street , staring each other off, both wanting to win this battle. It was a good five minutes before I let out an annoyed sigh and started walking again.
"Whatever Thomas but it needs to be exactly how I want it!"
I hear a chuckle from behind me before he jogs over to my side again. Our hands softly and barely brush over each others but we both realise and pull our hands away. I still remember the olden days before the war back when Tommy's big, veiny hand would fit with my small and dainty ones. But atlas the presence becomes clearer and now I have to get to work with Harry and that suspicious and stupidly annoying Irish woman.