Chapter 23- Worry

Today was a quiet day at the Garrisons, there was hardly anyone in here or out in the streets so Harry let Grace go home early. I was allowed to leave for a couple hours once I finished cleaning the floor and tables.
Unexpectedly, I was interrupted by the door swinging open and a panicked Ada running towards me. I grab her arms and walk her to the private room.
"Woah! Ada, what's going on? What's wrong?"
"Have you seen Freddie?"
"No. Now sit down and drink this."
I pass her a glass of water which she gratefully takes and sips before placing it on the table.
"What about Tommy?"
"I haven't seen either. Why?"
She starts to panic even more but I hand her the glass and rub her shoulders while crouching in front of her.
"I have to find Freddie."
"Chill out, Ada. Tell me what's wrong and why the bloody hell you was running while pregnant?"
"I have to find them, I think they're going to kill each other."
I freeze from shock and then start to find myself panicking, everyone knows that Freddie and Tommy haven't been friends since the war. Collecting myself so that I don't worry Ada even more, I pass her the water and give her a hug.
"It's okay and we can sort this out. But first you need to calm down and try to stop stressing and worrying."
"I'm sorry Soph. I just you know."
I nod and give her a hug which calms her down. Then I have a small chat with her before walking her home and going to Polly's.
"How was she when you got back to hers?"
"She was better. Said she was going to take a bath."
"Alright. Where the bloody hell is Tommy?"
Polly strokes the Finns hair to sooth him deeper into his slumber as I pour us some tea. But just as I hand Polly her drink none other than, Thomas Shelby, the man of the hour walks in. Polly puts a finger to her lips signalling for him to be quiet as he slumps onto the sofa in frustration. He then pulls out the wad of cash that we gave Freddie.
"Freddie didn't want your money. And now the coppers are saying if we don't turn Freddie in, they'll put Ada on the arrest warrant as well. That's where your compassion gets you, ladies."
Polly sits opposite him with a smirk and glare on her face where as I look at him in shock as I sit besides him.
"From now on, we do it my way."
"Or what?"
I look at Polly with a small smirk and then watch Tommy bow his head in frustration and then get up. He goes to the door and leaves.
"I'm going to go after him Pol. I'll see you tomorrow."
She nods with a small smile and I quietly but quickly leave. When I step outside I see Tommy stalking off at the top of the road so I run after him.
"Tommy!"
He stops in his tracks and turns around to wait for me. I catch up to him in seconds and grab his hand, pulling him to the garrisons.
"Don't worry Tommy. It will all sort itself out."
We walk into the pub and straight away a gush of heat hits us. We walk to the private room and take off our coats and Tommy's hat. I sit down while Tommy swings open the little doors and orders a bottle of whiskey, two glasses.
"Your sister came in here today. She was worried about you and Freddie. It made her sick."
He pours us our drinks and then shuts the hatch. Sighing, he takes a seat opposite me and downs his drink before pouring himself another one.
"How is she?"
"She's alright but in her condition she needs peace. Women talk."
"That is something they do."
"She talked about you. Says you keep everything locked up."
"Well, that's what men do."
"Tommy, I love Ada. It's not easy for her. You and Freddie always fighting over the same thing. You should talk. Fuck it! Men should talk."
"To you?"
"Why not? One, I'm a barmaid. It's my job. Plus men always tell their troubles to a barmaid. And two, I love you Tommy and I know that everything you do is for your family but you need to talk to them or me."
He stares at me while he lights a cigarette and smokes it. I can tell that he's stressed and needs to talk to someone but it all depends on how stubborn he is. A silence falls over us as he grabs the newspaper and starts reading it.
"Can you do me a favour, Sophie?"
I nod at him while he carries on looking through the newspaper which makes me sigh.
"Can you go tell Grace that I'll meet her here at nine 'o' clock tomorrow morning?"
"I'll do that now."
I get up from my seat and walk out to the bar. Grace is standing there wiping down the bar with a small smile on her pretty face. As much as I hate her I do have to admit she is one pretty but evil woman.
"Grace."
"Sophie. What can I get you?"
"I don't want a drink. I'm here to tell you that Tommy is picking you up at nine tomorrow morning. From here."
She glares at me for a second while cleaning a dirty glass. I give her a small smirk before turning around and walking to Tommy. I grab my coat while he puts his hat on and then we leave.
"Are you staying with me tonight or are you going back?"
"The race is tomorrow."
"I know."
"I won't be back till late."
"Well, now you don't get a choice. Your staying with me."
He turns to me with an eyebrow raised and a small smirk which makes me blush. Luckily it's dark outside so he can't see it.
"Oh yeah. I forgot how bossy you was."
"So, is that a yes?"
He gives me a short lived laugh before grabbing my hand and pulling me to mine.
"I guess it is."