Chapter 6- The Peaky Blinders.

It had been one year since we left and as much as I loved the fresh air nowhere compares to Small Heath. Today we had finally arrived back home but times appear to be harder, the bakery has been shut down and I am now searching for a job. Father said that the Garrison's are looking for bartenders so I decided I would stop by their tomorrow.
A hand grabs my arm and pulls me down an alley way, I try to scream but their hand quickly smacks onto my mouth, muting my screams. Shortly after I give up and they remove their hand, I quickly turn round to see a petite woman and three kids who look frightened.
"Shh, the Peaky Blinders are comin'!"
Who are the Peaky Blinders and why is everyone afraid of them? The noises of horse hooves on the road cut me away from my thoughts and not long later a magnificent dark black horse appears with a well suited man guiding it. It carried on a little further down the road until it came to a halt in front of a man and women.
"Sir? This is her."
"The girl who tells fortunes?"
He then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a note. The mysterious man proceeds to hand the man the note while the lady pulls out a bag. She opens it and pours out a red powder into her hand. She quietly begins mumbling something before blowing the powder onto the horses face. It lets out a loud neigh while the man and woman run back in the direction they came from. One of the boys then turns to us.
"They're doing a magic spell to make it win a race."
The mysterious man and his horse then turn back around and slowly turn in a circle.
"The horse's name is Meaghan Boy. Kemp ton, 3, Monday."
Then him and his horse go the same way as the couple. While trotting down the road he raises his voice loud enough for any witness to hear.
"You ladies have a bet yourselves but don't tell anyone else."
And with that he disappears. Everyone in hiding waited a few minutes before leaving the places they were hid. I slowly follow the lady out into the now crowded street and cautiously make my way to the Garrison's.
I knock on the door before walking inside, the pub was quiet and the only person in there was Harry who was sweeping the floor. When he sees me he stops and walks over smiling.
"Sophie?"
"Hello Harry."
His smile widens and then he pulls me into a small hug. Harry was a good friend I made before I left and he is as nice as ever.
"What brings you 'ere?"
"I 'ave come for a job as a barmaid. The Bakery shut down and since comin' back me family have struggled to find jobs."
"I just hired an Irish girl but I suppose I could use another."
"Thank you so much Harry!"
He chuckles and I pull him into one last hug before I wave him goodbye. If it weren't for me and Harry being friends then I would not of got that job. The rest of the day I decided to spend at home resting before my first shift tomorrow.  
"Is it always this busy in the daytime?"
"No. These boys are on their way to St. Andrews."
"To pray?"
Me and Harry laugh at her while pouring as many drinks as we can. The other barmaid, Grace, is a Irish lady with short blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes.
"That would be the day. St. Andrews is a football ground."
She blushes a little and goes back to pouring customers drinks. Harry looks at me with an eyebrow raised and a confused look plastered on his face.
"The Blues are playing."
Harry and Grace start talking and pointing out the players in the crowd while I carry on serving the pints of beer. I was soon interrupted by a loud shout from a man in the window.
"Hello!"
I turn to face him and walk a little closer. There he was Thomas Shelby, the love of my life. My jaw drops as I look him up and down the best that I can from the little window. He was wearing a fancy suit and a cap with razorblades sown into it.
"Tommy?"
"Sophie?"
I nod and catch him smile slightly.
"I need a bottle of Rum!"
Harry quickly rushes over and leans in so only I can hear him.
"Sophie? Whatever it is, its on the house!"
I nod while keeping my eyes on Tommy. What has he done to make himself so important?
"A whole bottle?"
"Yeah."
"White or dark rum?"
"Don't care. Bring four glasses as well."
Thomas quickly shuts the windows so I turn around and grab a bottle of dark rum. I place it on the counter and then grab four glasses. Before I could get to the end of the bar Harry grabs my arm, keeping me in place.
"Whatever they want is always on the house, no questions. Also if they choose you there's nothin' you can do."
"Harry I know the Shelby's."
He gasps and then lets go while nodding. I glance back at him once more before walking to the private room doors. I knock on the door and then walk in, Arthur, John and Tommy were all sitting round a table lost in chatter. I hesitantly walk over and set the rum and glasses down, this catches the boys attention and makes them become silent.
"Is that Sophie?"
"The one and only!"
John and Arthur jump up and pull me into a hug. It had been a long time and I have missed them greatly. But father told me that showing emotions and feelings are weak. We pull away and I take a good look at them, they have fancy suits on like Tommy and both have the caps with razorblades in them as well.
"I need to get back to work."
"Have a drink with us."
"Harry won't-"
"It was not a request."
I glare at Tommy who glares back at me while the other brothers sit back down. I give up with a huff and start to pour the drinks after I sit down next to John. Tommy was still watching my every move so I decide to do the same back.
"Two can play that game, Thomas!"
He smirks a little with a cigarette now hanging from his lips. God did he look attractive but he broke my heart and I am not sure if I can let it happen again. On the other hand, these people were my family and I loved them, I still do.
"Aright lovebirds."
I snap my head towards Arthur and send him a warning glare which makes him put his hands up in surrender. I then look back at Tommy who has an amused look on his face. Thinking back I remember the mysterious man who seems to be dressed like Thomas. Before I could stop myself, I gasp. All of them look at me confused and then I stand up and back away. I heard that the Peaky Blinders blind people and slice them open with their caps, they beat people to death and are the most feared gang in Birmingham.
"What's wrong, love?"
"Your t..the Peaky Blinders."
They all smirk at each other as if they were proud of what they had became but soon stop as I backed all the way to the other side of the room. They could kill me right now and dispatch me within seconds, nobody would even realise. They all share a look before Tommy stands up, brushing himself down and walking cautiously over. This was it, I had no escape and nowhere to go.
"Don't be afraid love!"
"W...what?"
"We ain't gonna kill ya!"
I let out a shaky breath while Tommy puts his hands beside both sides of my head. Great! I am trapped again! He leans down so that we are eyelevel and looks into my eyes as if he was searching for something. My hearts pace quickens and feels like its going to break out of my ribcage, I have not felt like this since before the war. I look back into his blue mesmerising eyes searching for lost answers but there was nothing. Nothing at all. The man I once knew was gone and was never coming back. Finished with searching he pushes himself away and strolls back over to the table. I gulp and walk back over too.
"I best get back to work now."
They nod and I walk out of the private room and back to the bar. The crowd had died down and The Shelby's left shortly after which meant the rest of the day was quiet and easy.
When I arrive home I see that my parents are waiting for me all dressed up. I walk over to them while looking them up and down, why are they dressed up fancier than usual, it's nice but they have no reason too, right? They had a big smile on their faces and a positive energy flowing from them.
"What's this?"
I jester to them which makes them chuckle. Am I missing something? They quickly look over themselves before returning their attention to me.
"We are meeting Polly and the rest so go get ready."
The rest means Thomas and his siblings. I shake my head with a frown plastered on my face but they ignore it and motion for me to hurry up and get changed. I sigh knowing that this isn't going to be the least pleasant and start walking to my room. Not wanting to keep my parents waiting I quickly change into a black dress and then tie my hair into a loose bun before I make my way back to my parents. The journey to the house was silent and unpleasant but as soon as we got there they turn to me with a sympathetic smile.
"I know he hurt you but please try to forgive him."
There was no point in causing an argument with my parents because they always win it so with a huff I nod showing them I agree with what they were saying. But it hurt to look at the man I love knowing he doesn't feel the same way.