Chapter 14- Heartbreak

I watch as Thomas dismounts off his beautiful white horse and cautiously as well as calmly walks round so that he is in front of the horse. Me and Grace were on our break and had decided to have a cigarette outside. Tommy pulls on the agitated horses rains and was calmly whispering to it.
"You done Grace?"
I chuck my cigarette on the floor and stomp it out while watching Thomas. I had been silently watching him over the pass couple weeks although it does seem like he has forgotten about me. I still have feelings for him and miss when we use to go riding on the horses together. I let out a small huff as I turn my attention to Grace who is still watching him.
"You go in. I'll be in soon."
I roll my eyes at her and step back into the busy pub. My hatred for that Irish bitch has only grown since I distanced myself from Thomas but I can't hate her for suddenly becoming closer with him as it's my own fault.
Angrily I start cleaning some dirty glasses and serving the few costumers that have come up to order. As time ticked on, I started to get more annoyed at her as she still has not come back in.
"I will chuck the dirty water out!"
I watch her as she rushes to the back and grabs the bucket of water. Why was she so desperate to do that and why was she rushing to it? Clearly something or someone has caught her attention. Then it hit me, it probably has something to do with Tommy. I clench my jaw and continue working.
It had been a good fifteen minutes before she blessed us with her presence again. Grace now wore a big smile which I personally wanted to smack off her. She walked over and started serving customers being extra nice. It made me want to throw up.
I couldn't stand it anymore so I finally ask her what's got her so happy because all I want to do is slap it off her. Of course I didn't but it did play in my mind the whole hour that I have put up with her so far.
"Why you so happy today?"
"Thomas has asked me to the races and I have managed to persuade him to let people sing on Saturday nights."
The pain I felt made me want to die. It felt like she had just stabbed me in the heart with a red hot knife and then closed my airways. She was still smirking and smiling and just being happy overall but I wanted her to feel pain. Tears make my vision become blurry and I feel a lump in my throat but I blink the tears away and scoff the lump away.
"Guess I'll be taking your shift then."
"If that's alright?"
"Yep!"
I angrily pop the p and send her a sarcastic smirk which she shrugged off. All I want is for her to fuck off to anywhere but here so that I can win Tommy back. I know that it most likely won't happen but I can wish.
Finally my shift was over which means I can now drink my pain away in the private room and then go home to cry my heart out. But after my first glass of whiskey, I was joined by the Shelby boys. They tried making conversation with me but I refused to participate because it could end up in a disaster.
"What's up with you today, Sophie?"
I snap my attention towards John and Arthur who are looking at me confused. I now realise that if I don't participate in the conversation then it will defiantly become suspicious and then he will know that I know. So with a sigh and a gulp of my whiskey, I enter the conversation.
"Sorry, long day!"
"It's alright love. So what are you doing tomorrow?"
"Going to the movies."
They all share a look that I am not able to read before Arthur grabs another round of drinks. I gulp down the last of this drink before grabbing the full one.
"With who? Is it a man? Here that Tom she's moved on!"
I laugh at their stupidity which makes them raise their eyebrows and look at me questionably. I have not moved on from him but they don't need to know that.
"Not a man but Ada. And who's to say that I haven't already moved on?"
I inquired 'moved on' half heartedly but they didn't seem to notice. One thing that has been bugging me throughout this whole conversation is that Tommy has been silent. His poker face on and a cigarette hanging from his lips.
"With who?"
Tommy finally commented and by the looks of it is a little aggravated by my question. I smirk a little bit while sipping my whiskey. John and Arthur were looking between us intrigued by what's meant to accrue.
"If you give me a cigarette I'll tell you."
He glares at me before grabbing his metal tin and pulling out a single cigarette. I smirk as he puts it in between his soft lips and lights it before placing it in mine. I take a puff out of it and lick my lips.
"Why does there have to be anyone?"
John and Arthur burst out laughing at the fact I played Tommy. On the other hand Tommy looked fuming so I make the decision to down the last of my whiskey and leave in a hurry. It felt good knowing that he was pissed off at me but my heart hurt so much that I soon forgot about it.
After finally crawling into bed, I was now able to cry. And cry. And cry. By the time I was finished crying the sun was starting to rise. I let out a sad sigh before falling into a deep slumber. At least I am off today and I don't have to meet Ada till six.