Chapter 19- Billy fucking Kimber.

After having a couple days off, I decided that I would do the day shift today. For once in Birmingham it was decently warm and I was sweating because of the lack of wind and fan. Unfortunately for me it was also busy today which did not help at all.
Grace had managed to convince Thomas to allow singing on Saturdays which meant she started singing with the crowd. Woman and men danced as well as sang their hearts out and didn't stop when Thomas and his brothers strolled in. Although they quickly went to their little snug.
I have had enough so I slipped into the snug to collect their dirty glasses which they smiled at me gratefully. Finn was in their shuffling a stack of cards then handing them out. I smile at them as I realise they are spending quality time together.
"We are going to play snap with Finn wanna join?"
"Ah! Now what would be the fun in that plus I need to work."
"Alright then love but we demand a game later."
I chuckle at them in amusement while wiping my forehead. Then I remember that they haven't ordered yet.
"You guys want Whiskey?"
"No just beer."
"Why no whiskey Tom? You expecting trouble?"
The room goes silent. Thomas slides his cards over and looks at them with his usual poker face while the rest of us watch him questioningly. What is he planning? The silence allows the awful singing to fill our ears.
"Jesus Christ Tommy. What made you let them sing?"
The boys and I chuckle while Tommy smirks at the floor. Grace had been the reason why yet nobody knows what she did for this to happen. Millions of thoughts swarm around my head but I think logical, it might of been the same time he asked her to the races but why was he so desperate to get her to go with him, it was on ongoing battle that I give up with.
"They sound like their strangling cats out there."
I nod my head before leaving to get them their drinks. Halfway threw poring them the pub suddenly goes deadly quiet and I look up to see why, that's when I see the king.
"Holy shit! Its Billy Kimber!"
Everyone suddenly starts to part ways as he struts in like he owns the place. As he moves his shoes make a crunching noise and he holds a serious face that says don't fuck with me.
"Is there any man here named Shelby?"
Everyone stays quiet as he booms his sentence again but this time he fires a gun up to the roof. It leaves a small but noticeable hole from the bullet. Out from the snug steps Tommy with Arthur and John behind him like body guards. Thomas tells everyone to leave but me and Grace quickly make drinks and leave them on the table.
"I never approved of woman in bars but when they look like that-"
"Sophie, Grace leave." 
Grace quickly scurries out of the bar with a look on her face that would be laughable if it weren't for the serious situation we were in.
"Are you sure Tommy?"
Tommy glances up at me and catches my eye which leaves me glued to the spot. His ocean blue eyes could easily of made me drown if I hadn't of been snapped out of my trance by his voice.
"I said go home!"
I nod whilst making my way out but come to a holt  when another voice stops me.
"She can stay, she has a pretty face."
Thrown off, I turn back around to see Kimber giving me a chilling smile. It sent shivers down my spine and made me feel severely uncomfortable.
"I don't think that's a good idea."
Johns smile had now turned to a frown as he looked Billy Kimber up and down then at his brothers. Tommy nodded in agreement but said nothing on the topic so I stalked my way to the bar.
"You said you wanted men called Shelby. You've got three of them."
Tommy's voice boomed as he lit a fresh cigarette while Arthur poured them all drinks. I didn't want to make it obvious that I was listening so I grabbed a cloth and wiped the bar.
"I never heard of you. Then I did hear of you. Some little diddicoy razor gang. And I thought to myself, "So what?" But then you fuck me over. So now you have my undivided attention."
Silence fell over the bar as all the men glared at each other. The tension was rising and if I don't know better I would say that this is going to get nasty.
"By the way, which one am I talking to? Who's the boss?"
I snicker at him as I watch him scan over the Shelby's with his pointer finger. As all of this is going down though, I can't help but think to myself what the fuck has Tommy got us all into.
"Well, I'm the oldest."
Arthur points to himself while putting on his poker face but Kimber scoffs and does a dry laugh.
"Clearly."
I bite my tongue as I think about going over and breaking his nose but then I remember that I am not as involved in this as they are so it's probably best not to.
"Are you laughing at my brother?"
Billy Kimber falls silent from shock although that only lasts a few seconds before opens his annoying mouth.
"Right he's the oldest, you're the thickest."
He starts pointing from brother to brother until he gets to Tommy and then he starts to glare.
"I'm told the boss is called Tommy and I'm guessing that's you, 'cause you're looking me up and down like I'm a fucking tart."
Unbothered, Tommy just stares at him with his cigarette slowly burning in one hand and his usual poker face plastered on.
"I want to know what you want."
For the first time since this meeting started the man sat besides Kimber speaks up while looking from Kimber to Tommy.
"There was suspicious betting patterns at Kempton Park. A horse called Monaghan boy. He won by a length twice and then finished last, with three thousand pounds bet on him."
I roll my eyes as carry on now pretending to clean the bar. I know that it was obviously Tommy but I have a feeling he is doing this for a reason.
"Which one am I talking to? Which one of you is the boss?"
He mimicked while pointing his finger between each one, his eyes following.
"I am mr. Kimber's adviser and accountant."
Then Kimber slams his hands on the table and shoots up, raising his voice.
"And I'm the fucking boss. Okay, right, end of parley. You fixed a race without my permission. You fucking gypsy scum! What, live off the war pensions of these poor Garrison Lane widows! That's you level! I am Billy Kimber. I run the races. You fixed one without my permission so I'm going to have you shot against a post."
I slam my hands on the bar which grabs all the attention and then I storm around to him. With one quick movement I slap him and then storm back.
"You fucking whore!"
He puts his hand over his cheek which is going as red as a tomato and while giving me one last disgusted look, he starts to walk away. As quickly as he was about to leave, Tommy got up.
"Mr. Kimber."
Kimber's men all raised their guns up at Tommy who stood there unbothered. Then in one slick movement he flipped what looks like a stray bullet at Kimber.
"Look at it. That is my name on it. It's from the Lee family."
I let out a gasp which goes unnoticed by the men. The Lee family are after Tommy.
"You are also at war with the Lees, Mr. Kimber, am I right?"
Another deadly silence falls over the group as Kimber scans over the bullet then walks forward towards Tommy. His attention clearly sparked alight.
"The Lees are attacking your bookies and taking your money. Your men can't control them. You need help."
Tommy smirks a little as he watches the accountant and the so called boss exchange looks before the accountant speaks up.
"Perhaps we should listen to what Mr. Shelby has to say. Before we make our decisions."
"Right. The Lees are doing a lot of talking at the fairs. They have a lot of kin. They're saying the race tracks are easy meat, because the police are busy with strikes. Now, we have connections. We know how they operate. You have...muscle. Together, we can beat them. Divided, maybe not."
The accountant sighs before turning his attention to his client.
"Mr. Kimber, perhaps we should take some time for reflection, possibly make arrangements for a second meeting."
With a smile that he tries to hide so desperately, Tommy shifts his weight from one foot to the other.
"I admire you, Mr. Kimber. You started with nothing, and built a legitimate business. It would be an honour to work with you, mr. Kimber."
I shake my head which catches Kimber's attention and makes him have a sudden change in his attire.
"Nobody works with me. People work for me."
He then takes a coin out of his pocket and flips it to the floor by the feet of Tommy.
"Pick it up, pikey!"
They have a stare off while I watch with boiling blood. That sly, ignorant man needs a bullet in his brain. But then Tommy does something that shocks me, he bends down to pick it up. Which cause John to get up and then men around them to move closer. "Sit, sit down."
Having enough I speak up with venom spitting out in every word I say.
"Mr. Billy Kimber, you are going to meet your downfall and I promise you now, that I will be there to watch it happen, you rotten, old, disgusting man. Oh, and by the way, you aren't a ladies man!"
Him and his men glare at me and their guns are pointed at me but quickly drop when Tommy draws the attention back. He picked up the coin and was now holding it up.
"It's for your ceiling. And if I were you, I wouldn't have the whore in the bar but at my home although her mouth on her is a shame."
Then him and his men start leaving. But Tommy stops them.
"Thank you, mr. Kimber. But don't you ever talk about Sophie like that again or I'll blow your fucking head off!"
Once he walks out, his accountant gets up and looks at Tommy with a raised eyebrow.
"We will be at Cheltenham."
"As will I."
The accountant nods before he and the bodyguards leave in a scurry. Tommy turns around, downs his drink then locks the door. Arthur downs his then slams the glass on the table.
"So you picked a fight with the Lees on purpose. Tommy, can't mess with Billy Fucking Kimber."
All that went through one ear though as he watches them and then proceeds to announce a plan.
"Get yourselves a decent haircut, men. We're going to the races."
Then just like that he leaves. Me and all the boys stand there gobsmacked before we down another drink and then they leave. Before I go home I quickly tidy up and clean.