Chapter 31- Grace cant be trusted

I wake up with a headache from all the drinking and celebrating last night. I ended up back at the Shelby's house and in Tommy's bed but he wasn't anywhere to be found. I shake my head and slowly get out of bed.

The house was relatively quite as I make my way down the stairs and to the kitchen. No one is in sight so I pull open the betting doors and walk through before shitting the doors again. I see John next to the chalk board as usual and everyone else doing the adding up or bettings like the normally do. 

"Alright Sophie!" 

"John, where's Thomas?" 

"In his office." 

I nod at him and get a smile in return. The betting den isn't too busy with only a few people placing bets which means it's not late. I make my way to Tommy's office and knock once before strolling in. 

"How the fuck did I end up in your bed last night?" 

I laugh as I close the door but my smile slowly drops as I see him with a frown on his face and his head in his hands. I walk over to him and put my hand on his shoulder. 

"We were pretty drunk last night." 

"It was well deserved."

"Yeah." 

He pushes his chair out from under the desk and I take the opportunity to stand in front of him. As usual he smelt of smoke, whiskey and strong cologne 

"Thomas what's wrong?" 

"Nothing you need to worry about Sophie." 

I roll my eyes at the stubborn man in front of me. His blue eyes bore into mine and I suddenly get the urge to kiss him. I place my hand on his soft cheek and carefully start to lower myself on his lap. He doesn't push me off so I fully sit down and we carry on staring into each other's eyes. The mood in the room shifts to something strong and urgent and I see Tommy slowly lean in which gives me butterflies. With no time to waste I meet his lips and we slowly start to kiss before he deepens it. The temperature in the room starts to rise and the intensity of the kiss rises along with it. The moment feels bittersweet and I can't help but feel a small longing for this.  

I quietly walk into the garrisons to see Graces back to me and Arthur slouching on a chair with what looks like a white cigarette in his hands. 

"They're stolen aren't they?" 

"Don't ask." 

"You keep them on a boat." 

"What do you care? Can you check my adding up, please?" 

Grace walks over to where Arthur's sitting and places a box onto the desk. She bends over to check the book and his maths which causes Arthur to glance at her ass. I scowl at his idiotic behaviour but make sure my presence isn't know yet. 

"You should make a new start with this place. Do it properly. These cigarettes are not fit to sell." 

She turns her self so that she is now looking at him and Arthur then sniffs the box of cigarettes she placed down. 

"Smells like Gallipoli." 

"You should find a new place to store them." 

"It has to be far away from coppers." 

Grace clearly looks slightly more interested in this which makes me scoff at her. Of course this would perk her interests she is one. 

"But not rats?" 

"All the wharfs have rats, Grace." 

"What's wrong with a dry warehouse?" 

"Tommy's orders." 

"What orders?" 

"Always keep contraband bear petrol boat moorings." 

"Don't boats get searched?" 

I clear my throat knowing that he's about to give out precious information to Grace. Their heads snap to me as I walk into where they are. 

"Hope I'm not interrupting a special meeting." 

I stand at the door way with my arms crossed and a smirk on my face. I gently lean on the door frame as I see Grace's face turn to an unpleasant frown. 

"Asking a bit too personal questions there, aren't we Grace?" 

"Sophie." 

"Shush Arthur. Boats get searched everyone knows that Grace. Now how about you carry on with whatever you were doing and I'll help Arthur." 

I give her a wicked smirk. She grumbles annoyed at me as I shut down any important information she could have gotten from Arthur. She walks out as I make my way over to Arthur. 

"Is my adding up right?" 

"It is now." 

Arthur slouches back into his chair more and rubs a hand over his face. I look to see where Grace is before shutting the door behind me. 

"Arthur, what have you been told about her. You almost gave up precious information." 

"Listen Sophie, she clearly didn't know as she asked if she was a copper don't you think she would have known?" 

"She's undercover so obviously she would ask questions she knew. She wants your answers and that was a close one." 

"Sophie." 

"Arthur trust me. When have I ever been wrong?" 

I see him smile a little while I grin at him. I might let Tommy know but tell him not to mention it again. 

"Your right Soph." 

"I know I am." 

I give him a pat on the shoulder before turning around to leave the small room but I stop at the door. 

"Oh and also next time Arthur, ask me to check the books." 

I see him stiffly nod before I pull open the door and walk out of the Garrisons. 

I find Thomas back in his bedroom sitting on his comfy bed. 

"Tommy?" 

"Yeah?" 

"Can I come in?" 

"You've seen me naked before so even if I was then it wouldn't have mattered." 

I gasp a little while he chuckles at his comment. It's true though so I walk in and shut the door behind me. Then I walk over to him and sit down next to him. 

"Grace was asking Arthur questions earlier." 

"What kind of questions?" 

"Ones a copper would want to know about your business." 

He looks at me expectantly so I tell him about the previous conversation. I watch as his face fills with annoyance and anger. I grab his hand and intwine our fingers as I wait for him to say something. 

"Arthur's got no fucking brain. I need to have a talk with Grace." 

"Don't mention it to Arthur. I had shut it down before anything important was said." 

He sharply nods before squeezing my hand and standing up. I look at him confused but stand up with him. 

"Where are you going Tommy?" 

"Grace's shift ends in ten minutes so I'll go talk to her now." 

It had gotten dark since I arrived at the house which means that it's getting late. I frown at his answer and roll my eyes at the fact he's going to the barmaid instead of staying here with me. 

"I'll walk you home then go to the garrisons but wait for me. I'll tell you what happens when I arrive, okay?" 

"Alright."

 We leave the Shelby's household and make our way in the dim streets to mine. Our hands are still entwined as we walk and that's the only thing reassuring me that he's pretty much mine.