Chapter 26- Johns proposal

It had been a few days since the race and everything had gone back to somewhat normal. I was working from early hours to late ones just like the others and had even stopped by to visit my parents who are doing fine.
Today was my day off and I decided to look after Finn. Currently we are sitting at the kitchen table colouring pictures for the family while trying to block at the noise coming from the betting den.
"How's school Finn?"
He pauses what he's doing and coughs. Then with guilty eyes he looks up at me and shrugs.
"Fine."
I study him while he squirms in his seat and then I shake my head. His azure eyes are looking anywhere than me and I can already tell just by looking at him that he hasn't been going.
"Today's not the only day you haven't been in, is it?"
"No."
I run my hands through my hair and lightly tug at it while letting out a sigh. Then I take out a cigarette and light it while taking a few puffs of it.
"Bloody hell Finn. Does Polly know? Does anyone know?"
I wave my hand about while questioning him but it only made him slide down in his chair and barely shake his head. I get up and put my papers in the bin while I contemplate on what to do.
"Sophie?"
I carry on smoking my cigarette before putting my hands on the kitchen side and looking down into the sink. Finn is throwing his life away. He doesn't realise he needs school. I don't hear Finn talking to me as I am too busy running over thoughts and ways to handle this in my head.
"Sophie?"
My head snaps up when I feel a small hand tugging on my jacket and I whisk around to find Finn looking up at me. So I crouch down to make us eye level and then I grab his hands.
"You need to start going back to school Finn otherwise I will tell Tommy."
He quickly nods before I stand up and grab his drawings.
"Let's go show Polly these, aye?"
Polly smiles at Finn and starts complementing his drawings before she turns her attention to Tommy who had just walked in.
"It's a good day."
"Where's John?"
"He's at the Garrisons. Says he wants a meeting about a family matter. After he's said his piece he'll come back and take his place with Scudboat. Sophie, Finn will be fine for a few minutes let's go."
She starts to put her hat on and collect her bag while I tell Finn to go wait in the living room. I watch him run off before standing up and following Polly.
"Scudboat? John will be here in ten minutes."
She then walks out of the betting den with me and Tommy following. Though Tommy stops to tell Scudboat that it will be five minutes before he finally joins us.
Polly strides off ahead which leaves me privacy to talk to Tommy about Finn. He looks at me with an eyebrow raised as I let out a frustrated sigh.
"Finn hasn't been going to school."
"Oh for fuck sake. For how long?"
"I don't know a while but you need to talk to him Tom."
He nods his head and we walk the cobblestone streets of Small Heath in silence.
As we walk in, we find John and Arthur already there as well as sat down. With a small smile I sit down next to Arthur and watch as Polly takes her seat while Tommy stays standing.
"All right John, there's only one man...No!"
Arthur offers Tommy a glass of whiskey but Tommy quickly shuts him down using his hand. I glare at Tommy for being rude before I scan over johns face to see him look nervous. Tommy clears his throat again and without another second he starts talking again.
"There's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling you?"
We all watch John expectingly which puts more pressure on him and makes him loudly clear his throat. We sit in silence as he contemplates on what to say before he quietly, almost mouse like, starts to talk.
"Polly, you know what it's been like. Since Martha died."
I sharply inhale a breath as I can tell this isn't going to be a pleasant conversation to have. Over the past couple of years, John has had a hard time with four kids to raise and no mother around to help which makes me think that this is on the line of getting married and I only think that because it's about time as well as he looks like he's got something big like that to say.
"God takes the best first."
Me and Arthur nod our heads in agreement before downing the glass of whiskey and turning our attention back to the gloomy conversation.
"Truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours."
Behind John, Tommy let's out a huff and wipes his face with one hand. I give him a look that says to stop being insensitive but he completely ignores me and leans against the wall.
"Pol, give him ten bob for some shoes. Is that it, John?"
I sneer at Tommy before moving forwards in my chair which creaks from the new weight. While watching Tommy, who stares back at me, I interject into the conversation.
"Are you serious, Tommy?"
Polly loudly breaths out before shaking her head at Tommy who just stands there unbothered.
"Tommy, it would be better doing this without you."
Like a sulky child who had just been told off, Tommy chucks his cigarettes on the side by the hatch and just stands there. After glaring at Tommy for a couple seconds, Polly turns to John who has his head down.
"What's your point, John?"
"What the kids need is a mother."
Everyone stays silent as John let's out a sort of choked scoff. Arthur turns to me with a questioning look but all I can do is give him one back and shrug. I can feel a bombshell about to drop and it's going to be a big one.
"So that's why I'm getting married."
My eyes widen as Polly and me exchange looks. It stays silent for a minute while everyone tries to process the new information until Polly bites he cheek and breaks it.
"Does the poor girl know your going to marry her, or are you just going to spring it on her all of a sudden?"
I bite my lip as I feel another bombshell about to drop which I was correct about.
"I already proposed and she said, she said yes."
Everyone looks in shock as Tommy lights a cigarette and steps forward.
"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang."
I let out a giggle before copying Thomas's actions and lighting my own cigarette. It stays quite while John takes a large gulp of his whiskey and wipes his mouth on his sleeve.
"It's, er...It's Lizzie Stark."
Unable to control ourselves we burst out laughing. John can't be serious. Lizzie Starks. For fuck sake she's like the local whore, what does he think she's going to be able to do? I watch as Tommy shows an actual smile for once before I compose myself and intercept.
"John, Lizzie Starks is a strong woman, and I'm sure she provides fine service for her customers. But you have got to be kidding."
"I won't hear the word. Understand? Do not use the word."
He angrily slams his hands on the table while I lean back in my chair and try not to laugh. I love John and think he deserves someone but not Lizzie Starks like come on she can't be a suitable woman.
"What word is that, John?"
Tommy crosses his arms and holds his head high as he waits for John's answer. I am beyond shocked and can't actually believe he is serious.
"You all know what word that is."
With a look of disbelief and a little chuckle Arthur finally speaks up.
"Everybody bloody knows."
With a hot head and a low temper John slams his hand on the table and fires back.
"Everybody can go to hell."
Adding fuel to John's fire, Tommy starts to tease him like holding a lollipop out of a hungry kids reach. He's acting as if it's a knowledge game where you think of every word that comes to mind on that certain topic and it's unfair to John.
"Whore. That word? Or prostitute? How about that one?"
Having had enough John sniffles and then puts his finger on the table like he's pointing down to it or something.
"Right. I want it known that if anyone calls her a whore again, I will push the barrel of my revolver down their throats and blow the word back into their hearts."
"Men and their cocks never cease to amaze me."
I give Polly an apologetic look as I cut her off and get straight to the point even if it offends John.
"John, Lizzie Stark never did a days work vertical..."
John's head finally snaps up and he glares at me. In his eyes a swirl of emotions like hurt, disappointment and anger dance around. And I put my hands up in surrender.
"She's changed. All right. People change like w..with religion."
Everyone let's out a sigh as John stands up and points round at everyone. I think everyone here but John is fed up of this conversation. And right now, it's like saying no to a child.
"Lizzie Stark has got religion, eh?"
"No! No, she doesn't have religion. But-"
He cuts himself off like he's unsure of what he's about to say but sighs and says it anyways.
"-but she loves me."
I let out a gasp of surprise. He's so wrapped up in this that he doesn't even realise how ridiculous that sounds and he's going to get hurt if this doesn't stop.
"Look John, we are only trying to tell you this so that you don't get hurt, okay? But we all need this to stop. Polly, Arthur, Tommy they don't want you to regret it and I know, we know you will."
He looks at me with desperation before turning to Tommy. I watch them while Arthur puts an arm around my shoulders as if to comfort me.
"Now listen, Tommy. I won't do it without your blessing. But of all the people in the world, I want you to see it...as brave."
Tommy stares at John while Arthur looks ahead with a whiskey to his lips as he takes a deep breath and voices his thoughts.
"Oh it's brave alright."
John stares in disbelief while Arthur finally downs his drink and Polly, with her hands together up to her face, starts to speak in a serious tone.
"Brave is going where no mans gone before and with Lizzie Stark, John that's really not what you'll be doing."
We scoff at the thought as John turns back to Tommy in one last hope of getting approval.
"Listen, Tommy. Welcome her to the family. As someone who has had a hard life, all right? Because I need someone. The kids need someone."
"She's not that someone though John!"
He turns to look at me with a sigh and the room goes quite. Fortunately, the door bursts open and Finn walks in out of breath in panic.
"Tommy! We've been done over!"
Everything stops as panic rushes in. This was exactly what we needed to add to the mix of events.