Chapter 24- The races

The sapphire sky was starting to become a diamond colour as I walked down the busy street. Wrapping my coat round tighter as the cold morning air nips at my skin, I find Arthur in the distance with a smile.
"What are you doing now Arthur?"
Walking over to me, he quickly gives me a hug and then loops his arm in mine. Then he starts leading me to the yard.
"Today's the day. Me and the boys have a special mission."
"That sounds interesting. Could you use one more?"
"It's going to be a bit gruesome."
"Nothing I can't handle."
"If your sure then."
As we arrive I see a group of men starting to form a circle around a wooden box. Arthur unwraps his arm from mine and then jumps onto the chipping box.
"Attention!"
I giggle at him as I join next to John who is smirking at me. A random man drops a crate at the feet of Arthur and then Arthur starts walking in front of us on the wooden thing.
"Right. This is what's known as your final briefing before going over the top. Sixty miles down that road is Cheltenham racetrack."
He points to the right of him before turning around with his same big smile. John turns to me and gives me a little nudge to which I smile at him.
"Does Tommy know?"
"Does he fuck."
He lets out a chuckle before our attention goes back to Arthur who had just started pacing again.
"Johnny, what's our mission, boy?"
He turns to John who takes his toothpick out and smirks.
"To stick it to the Lee family, Arthur!"
Everyone around us smiles when John shouts that at the top of his lungs but Finn looks proudly up at John which melts my heart.
"That's right. The Lees are skimming money off legal bookies. Running chalk, selling rafflers, then beating up them as won't buy. But today we're gonna stop them."
John childishly puts his hand up and starts moving his hips in a circle like he's playing with an imaginary hula hoop.
"What about Kimber's men? I thought he had his own protection."
"Kimber's let his troops go rotten. They're on the take from the Lees to look the other way. We're going to show Kimber how it should be done. Now take what you're good at."
One of the men opens the crate to reveal all sorts of shiny knifes and guns. Everyone crowds around it taking their pick and then walking back to their spots.
"Those of you with guns, keep them out of it unless a gun is pulled out on you. We want this done quietly."
Me and John bend down to pick up a knife each before rejoining the rest of the group. I slip the knife into my holder on my thigh and then turn to look at Arthur with a smile.
"So when do we share the cash?"
"We don't. We're not keeping the cash. Your in Tommy's army now, boys. Trust only kin."
I clear my throat which makes Arthur chuckle while rolling his eyes.
"Sorry and lady. Let's go."
He swings a stick around in the air before jumping down and leading us to the truck. I glance at John with a smirk before hopping in the front. The truck was a bit dirty but it doesn't affect me.
Loud thumps and clinking of metal can be heard as the men hop into the back of the truck in twos. Small talk can be heard as John and Arthur hop into the front of the van, next to me.
Arthur starts the engine and then we are off. It was a little bit of a squeeze with Arthur one side of me and John the other but I'm thankful it's them and not some strangers.
"So Sophie, decided last minute that you wanted to come?"
"Arthur whisked me off here."
"Oi! You wanted to help."
I let out a small giggle before nodding in agree. John gives out a a shocked laugh before turning to me with a smirk.
"Tommy's gonna kill you."
I look at Arthur with a smile before turning to John with a smirk. We all know that's the last thing Tommy would do.
"He'll have to try."
They both smirk at me before breaking into the plan. Trying their best, they explain the backstory and what we are going to do which seems like fun.
After an hours drive, we finally arrive. Straight away, we make our way to the men's toilets where we saw Raz just enter.
"Come on Sophie. You can come too."
I give a quick nod before we walk in. Raz had just pushed an old man into the wall before John grabs him and puts him in a head lock. He turns him to us and me and Arthur smile.
"Hello Raz."
Arthur smirks at me before stepping forward and taking over.
"How's business?"
Then me and Arthur both punch him in the stomach and watch as he doubles over. He lets out a grunt as John knees him in the stomach and pushes him to the wall. I walk over and grab Raz's head and smack it twice against the sink.
"Fucker! Get him!"
John then grabs ahold of Raz and pins him up to the wall which makes Raz grunt. Arthur steps closer as he takes off his hat and uses the blades to cut a slice of the top of Raz's ear off. Screaming fills the bathroom as blood starts to spew out of his ear. Having enough Arthur grabs his neck and slams him into the wall.
"Stay still, Raz, or I'll take the whole ear off and your going to need your ears to listen."
Raz whimpers as Arthur starts to get close to his face and point at him.
"No more chalking on Billy Kimber's boys. Right?"
Him and John glance at each other before Arthur steps back next to me. I walk forwards to where Arthur just was and give a small smile.
"We are the protection now."
I grab the bags of money and hold them up for him and all the other men to see.
"I commandeer this stolen money by order of the Peaky Blinders!"
I then chuck the money to Arthur which he smoothly catches and then watch as John knees Raz one more time in the stomach. After glancing back one last time, we leave, leaving Raz laying on the floor.
As the other boys make their way back to the truck, me and Arthur run up around three flights of stairs with the bags of money slung over our shoulders.
Panting, we make it to the side of the room where we see Tommy and Grace dancing in a line towards us. Tommy let's go of Grace as me and Arthur open the door and drop the money down by Tommy's feet.
"What the fuck are you doing here, Sophie?"
"We chased the Lees across the track and down to Devon road. We got every penny back."
Me and Arthur hunch over as we slowly catch our breath. Finally standing up straight again we turn to Grace who is shooting daggers at me as Tommy picks up the bags and slings them on his shoulders.
"Nice dress. You can wear that to my pub."
I smack Arthur in the chest while scoffing which makes him smile. Tommy then straightens up with all the bags now on and turns to me and Arthur.
"Buy the boys and Sophie a drink. Anybody hurt?"
I laugh before wiping my forehead and smoothing down me dress.
"Except Raz, nah. Hardly any scratches and bruises."
Tommy shakes his head at me before giving me a kiss on the cheek and Arthur a pat on the back. Him and Grace start to retreat while me and Arthur turn and make our way back to the others.
After having a well deserved drink, we all clamber back into the truck and leaving for home. I had no worries as the cool breeze flows throughout the truck and the only thing on my mind was the big lecture Tommy is going to give me.