Chapter 29- the tip off

It's been about a week and Polly has continuously tried to apologise multiple times even after I reassured her that it is all forgotten about. Emotions were high and stress had been laced on thick so I chose not to take it personal anymore. 

Today me and Polly had been tasked to try, yet again, to tip Freddie off so that he could take Ada and leave Small Heath but it was now becoming a struggle. Every time we tried explaining to him the importance of the request he became even more stubborn and cocky. Oh! And god forbid he listen and stopped trying to prove he isn't scared of Tommy. Which is why we had to follow him to the graveyard after he decided to stop answering the door to us. 

 It was a cloudy day in Small Heath which didn't help the already gloomy atmosphere that engulfed us. Freddie was standing over his mothers grave with an unreadable expression on his face. In his hand were some dull pink flowers that look like they are already dead waiting to be placed down on Irene May Thorne's grave. Polly and I watched on while he put the bouquet of flowers in front of the headstone before interrupting the peaceful silence. 

 "Today's her birthday. I know you never miss it." 

 "Then I'm lucky your not a copper. What do you both want?" 

 A small silence fills the air as me and Polly stand up from a grave next to Irene's. I share a look with Polly before clearing my voice and stepping forwards. 

 "We came to warn you. The coppers lifted Stanley Chapman." 

 "How do you know? The police don't spill that information." 

 "We know because it was the Peaky Blinders who tipped them off. More specifically Tommy and Polly." 

 I glance at Polly who steps forwards next to me while adjusting her maroon coat. Her eyes were trained on Freddie's and neither of them were blinking, their faces stern with no emotion being shown. 

 "Tommy did a deal in return for safe passage for you and Ada, he's given them Stanley and the money." 

"Money? What money?"

The tension in the air thickens as they continue to stare down each other. Freddie looks a little surprised as he puts the pieces together but I hardly know what is going on whilst Polly slightly smirks at him. 

"Who told you about the money?"

"Who do you think?"

Silence falls over us again while both their emotions bubble. The wind was starting to make me cold as I wait for this to be over with but Polly just smiles at him.

"It was Ada's idea, Freddie. That's how desperate she is to get out of that rat hole you're in. She didn't mind if you knew but Ada didn't want to be here when you found out. Sometimes women have to take over. Like in the war."

Polly nodded her head in agreement, a small smile plastered on her face that looked prideful. Freddie on the other hand look pissed off and I knew that this isn't going to go how we wanted. 

"Who the hell do you think you are? You fucking Shelby's-"

"Don't swear over your mother's grave."

"You play your tune and expect the whole world to dance to it."

"You don't have time for this Freddie."

Freddie huffs in annoyance before walking closer towards us, clearly we had annoyed him long enough now. We watch him stroll over one step at a time with unreadable expressions on our faces. All three of us wanted to be done with this conversation but both me and Polly needed  Freddie to stop being stubborn. 

"You did a deal? For me?"

"Don't flatter yourself. For Ada."

"And you think this copper will keep his word."

"If he does your safe. If he doesn't, Chapman will give you up."

I roll my eyes at how stubborn he is. Freddie obviously doesn't seem to understand that it ends with the same result and Polly is finding this amusing.

"Listen Freddie, you'll still have to leave town. Same results. So leave."

"Except there's one thing that you got wrong. Stanley won't be able to give up my address because he doesn't know it. That's how it works."

I turn to Polly who is staring him dead in the eyes without any emotion. I piece together what he means before sighing with defeat. They both snap their heads towards me and I can see Freddie grin a little. 

"None of them know each other's addresses. So we've waisted our fucking time!"

"They'll keep beating him and beating him for information he doesn't have so all you've done is sign the death warrant of a good man."

I let out a gasp. They have definitely fucked up but Polly doesn't seem bothered at this information like she already pieced it together. 

"So you won't leave?"

"No! I won't fucking leave! If you want me out of Birmingham, it'll have to be in a wooden box." 

Freddie and her glare each other down before Freddie reaches out and tries to grab her face. I step forward ready to push him away but Polly catches his hand and pushes it away. Her face turns into fury and as she gives Freddie his warning the words spit like venom. 

"You lay a hand on our Ada, I'll put you in a wooden box myself."

Freddie walks away before stopping and turning around. His face has a smile on it as he points at Polly and leaves. Polly turns her head away from his direction and takes a minute to herself. 

"Oh Freddie!"

He turns around again while raising his eyebrows at me and I walk over to him. A smile is plastered on my face as I grab him by the collar and pull him so that we are eye level.

"I swear to fucking god if you lay a finger on our Ada or anyone else for that matter. I will come for you and I'll be the last thing you ever see in this world. Don't make me your enemy."

I let go of him and strut back over to Polly who is smirking at me. Freddie had left and I had engulfed Polly into a hug. I was still shocked that Freddie had tried grabbing her but I know Polly can fend for herself. 

The journey back to Watery Lane was a silent one as we had let our thoughts take over our occupations. Freddie is still his stubborn old self which is now starting to irritate me as I want him and Ada to live a good life away from this. 

When we arrived back Thomas and Finn were in the kitchen sitting together. Finn was drawing on some paper while Thomas was drinking a glass half full of whiskey. They hadn't realised we had walked in yet so I sneak behind Finn and put my hands on his shoulders.

"Boo!"

Finn loudly screams as his hands move over his thumping heart. I burst out laughing before quickly pulling the eleven year old boy into a hug. Thomas and Polly both smile and look at me entertained. I pull the chair out that was opposite Thomas and next to Finn then I sit down.

"What you drawing Finn?"

"A family picture. Look that's you, Tommy and me between you both. Then John and Arthur next to Tommy and Polly and Ada next to you. Do you like it?"

"Aww! Finn that's so lovely and such a good drawing. Isn't it Pol? Thomas?"

They both agree and I see Finn smiling widely which makes my heart warm. He has such a sweet soul and I hope he doesn't have to become one unless he wants too but I'll always advise him not to. 

"Can we frame it?"

I smile at Finn as he patiently waits his answer. I can see the excitement and hopefulness in his eyes which causes me to nod even though Polly looked unsure. He gets up excitedly and hug everyone before running outside. 

"How'd it go?"

"Not well. He's not leaving."

"Classical stubborn Freddie. Now I'm taking it into my own hands."