Chapter 3- Helping Polly.

After a busy day at bakery, I decided to go visit Polly and the two youngest Shelby siblings. It always brought joy and a sense of comfort when seeing them. I knock on the door and hear Polly shouting at Finn, I giggle and then remember how Arthur and Tommy would prank their brother and get a good earful from Polly. Suddenly Ada opened the door with a bright smile on her face, she pulls me inside and then hugs me tight.
"I missed you!"
"Is that so?"
She nods eagerly and then lets go, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the living room. I walk in and see Finn sat down and Polly standing up, looking down at him with a frown.
"Pols, look who's 'ere!"
Her head snaps up and once she catches me she smiles. Polly walks over and pulls me into a tight hug. This makes Finn snap his head up and smile, I wink at him and he giggles. Polly then pulls away and snaps her head round to look at Finn, I place my finger on my lip signalling to not tell anyone.
"Its great to see you dear."
"Its great to see you too, Pols. And of course me favourite Shelby girl and boy."
They all smile at me while I smile at them back. It was a nice moment and I did not feel upset or stressed. I still have not got use to the quietness in this house since before the war.
"Tea love?"
I nod my head politely and move to sit next to Finn. Polly went off to the kitchen to make tea and Ada went off to work at the hospital. I smiled and then pulled Finn in for a hug.
"How you been Finn?"
"'Ight."
I pull back and look at him concerned which made his smile alter. I laugh at him which makes his smile return and then I scruff his hair up. He pretends to be upset but couldn't hide his happiness well which makes us burst out laughing. After a couple seconds we recollect ourselves and then fall into a conversation.
Polly enters the living room with two cups of tea in her hand which makes me frown. She cocks her eyebrow up and takes a seat across from us. I turn to Finn and tell him to go play outside while I have a word with Polly, he nods and then runs off.  I turn back to Polly and smile.
"Thanks for the tea Pols. I do not mean to overstep my boundaries but I could not help but overhear you shouting at Finn, may I ask why?"
She looks down, shaking her head with a smile on her lips. It was my turn to raise my eyebrows confused and take a sip of my tea.
"He is refusing to read and got in a fight at school."
I smile at her while we sip our tea in silence. How could I help Polly? I am good at reading. I gasp at realization which makes Polly look at me worried.
"I could teach him."
"He might listen to you."
We both nod in agreement and make conversation while drinking our tea. Every Thursday I will teach Finn how to read after work. Once we finish drinking our tea, I get up and go find Finn. After a couple minutes of searching I finally find him.
"Finn!"
He turns around and runs over a small smile on his lips. Once in front of me he bends down, his hands on his knees and his head to the floor. He catches his breathe then looks up at me. His face was bright red from running and his hair was messy but a bright smile still sat on his face.
"What's up, Sophie?"
"Well Polly told me that you ain't reading so I am going to teach you, every Thursday."
He huffs but nods his head. That darn boy don't know what's good for him.
"Come on."
I signal him to follow me and then we make our way back to the house. I decided that I would teach him today for an hour then I would go home.
I pull out a book and set it in the middle of the table, he cocks his eyebrows up and then makes his way over to me. I pull out a chair and take a seat while he does the same next to me. I then pull the book over and open it up to the first page.
"Repeat after me, Once upon a time..."
"Once upon a time."
"There was a little boy..."
"There was a lit...lit...little boy."
I look at the book and see him following it with his own finger. I smile at him while he sighs in frustration. I place a hand on his shoulder and give him a sympathetic smile.
"Lighten up Finn, nobody gets it on there first go."
He nods and we try again. By the end of the hour he has managed to read a sentence by himself. I congratulated him while he smiles at his accomplishment. I bid them goodbye and make my way home.
I arrive home and see mother sat at the table eating a bowl of soup. It was strange to see mother sat down peacefully so I left her alone. Deciding to go check for mail, I slip past my mother and head to the front door, there was nothing there so I head upstairs feeling exhausted and happy.