Chapter 4- The end of the war.

Today was an ordinary day, work, visit Polly and then go home to relax with mother but when I arrived home I saw my mother on the kitchen floor crying. I gasp and drop all my things, I run over to her and pull her into a hug. When she pulled back she had a smile that finally met her eyes after all this time. It was a great sight but I could not understand why.
"There is a letter for you. Read it and then come down to me."
I look at her confused before following her instructions. I stand up and walk to the table, grabbing the letter off of it and then making my way up to my room. Once I get there I sit on my bed and slowly open the letter, this could be really bad or really good and I'm hoping for the best. I take a deep breath in and unfold the letter. I quickly read over it and gasp, not believing what I have read. I then read over it again but this time slower, making sure not to miss a word.
Dear Sophie, 
It's over my love! It's finally over! We are coming home tomorrow and the war was ours, we won.
I promise you when we get home I will make something of us. We won't be poor anymore just wait and see. Eventually love, the whole world will know our name.
I hope to see you tomorrow.
Yours Sincerely,
Tommy
After I finish reading it for the second time, I let my tears slip, the war was finally over and they were finally coming home. I get up and run downstairs to my mother. She was standing up, swaying her hips to the small radio that was playing. I sneak up behind her and twirl her around, she giggles and then we start dancing together. Once the song finishes we burst out laughing and then hug.
"There coming back! Its over!"
She nods her head but sighs, grabbing my hand and leading me over to the table. I look at her confused, she motions for me to sit down and I obey. She grabs a hold of both my hands and gives me a sympathetic smile.
"Honey...I want to worn you...the men, they will not be the same."
"How do you know?"
"Your father."
"May I see?"
She hesitantly nods before getting up and leaving the room, leaving me with my thoughts. Has Tommy changed? Will he still love me? Has John or Arthur or Freddy died? Oh god! Poor John, Martha died last year and now he has four kids and no mother. I would hate to be in his shoes. Have they changed? I snap out of my thoughts when I feel a letter hit my hand.
"Read it."
I pick it up and carefully pull the letter out. Before reading it, I glance at my mother who gives me a reassuring nod.
Dear Anne,
How are you and Sophie? We are all still alive for now but all diffrent and not in a good way either. I know you may not care about the other boys but I know Sophie does plus I have a feeling she will read this. It is not the usual letter but it is the same pattern and nothing new to talk about so this will have to do.
I suffer nightmares like most of the men here, I am in a way considered lucky because I am not experiencing too bad of an impact. It is traumatizing but you are use to it after being at war for four years.
Thomas, he is less happy like everyone and only has a smile on his face when reading our dear Sophie's letters. He suffers with bad nightmares that consist of sweating, lack of air and discomfort. There is no light in his eyes anymore and he rarely shows any emotion. He is not like the Tommy we knew, he is less kind hearted and has no sympathy or any emotions. I fear that Sophie's and his relationship will end, he has plans, big plans that could harm a lot of people.
John, the poor boy was only young when this started, he had hope but has now been faced with misery. The poor sod lost his wife, I could not imagine a world without you my dear or our Sophie. John still has a little hope and still carry's his boyish grin. He has not suffered too bad but just like all the men, he has suffered.
Arthur, the once bright young man has turned cold hearted and is ruthless. He suffers from fenders blues and his anger issues have worsened. Sometimes his actions make us think that he lost his mind but soon vanishes when pulled back into reality.
I am not sure Small Heath will be the safest or best place to stay when we return. Maybe it would be best if we went away for a while. But that's just a thought.
Tell Sophie that I miss her as well as yourself and that I love you both.
Love,
Robert
I did not realise that I had started crying until I felt my mothers thumb wipe away the fallen tears that were now wet patches on my cheeks. This was all too confusing and it made me feel guilty that I could not have stopped them from this horrifying experience that I wish no man upon. The idea of leaving Small Heath made me upset and angry, I should not be taken away from the love of my life as soon as he returns from such a thing but if it was only a break then I would do it for my father. But not as soon as he returns though.