Chapter 30- the legal race licence

Billy Kimber and his accountant had arrived outside of the house in an expensive looking car. They stayed seated as the driver got out and lit a cigarette which meant that Thomas hadn't realised, they were here. I roll my eyes before running to Tommy's office.

"Thomas, Kimber's here."

"Thanks Sophie."

He quickly rose from his seat and we both exited out of the betting den. I stayed by the door and let Tommy go up to the car to greet them. They silently walked over to the door and I open it for them to walk in. 

"After you." 

We let Kimber and his accountant walk in first while we share a quick glance. The shop was pretty busy which meant that all that could be heard was mumbling and John yelling orders from the board. 

"We heard the Lees had turned you over." 

"You shouldn't listen to gossip, Mr Kimber. This way." 

I stay quite as I don't want to ruin anything because this wasn't like the bar, it's important. We stroll around the shop so they can get a look at everything before anything drastic happens.

"Business is good. Especially since you know which horse is going to win before you set the odds." 

We had finally come to the stop of Tommy's office where I stand by the door waiting patiently for the proper meeting to start. 

"Your information is very much appreciated." 

"Right, so where are they?" 

Thomas had lit a cigarette while Kimber and his accountant stand watching him. They both looked exactly the same as when they had been at the pub and they no doubt probably act the same. 

"John, Scudboat, Lovelock. In here." 

Kimber doesn't look impressed as they walk in but Thomas doesn't seem to notice or care. They join me by the door and John gives me a playful nudge. 

"This is my team. They'll take up their pitch at your convenience Mr Kimber. John is the book. Scudboat is the bag man and of course we bring our own protection." 

 They stare at each other for a couple of seconds which makes the air seem tense and awkward. I'm not sure on why I'm here but I feel as though I should leave. 

"And why is she here?" 

"Sophie is also protection. She is here cause I said she can be." 

Kimber glares at me which makes me a bit uncomfortable but then snaps his attention back to Tommy. I'm not actually protection, I just help out with a few things but he doesn't need to know that. 

"Warwick. Next Saturday. At least 50 yards from the beer tent." 

John nods at Kimber before Kimber walks away. His accountant stays back and looks in his little file case thing that he brought in with him. He then pulls out a sheet of paper and hands it directly to Thomas before following after Kimber. Thomas looks down at it before smirking a little and leaving the room. 

"Gentleman...And ladies." 

He stands up where John normally does the markings so that there is a clear view of him. Everyone all crowds around with interest while he clears his throat and holds up the piece of paper Kimber's assistant gave him. 

"I have in my hand a legal betting license issued by the board of control." 

Everyone starts to quickly mumble against themselves before Thomas starts to speak up again. He looks around the room with a proud look on his face. 

"The Shelby family has its first legal racetrack pitch." 

A big smile appears on his face and everyone starts cheering. He had done it. He had gotten his first legal racetrack pitch. All of us went up to him with big smiles on our faces. 

"Tommy congratulations." 

He turns to me with the sweetest smile and gives me a peck on the lips. I grin at him as he turns back to the family. 

"Congratulations, there you go." 

He hands the paper over to John while everyone looks at it and smiles. It was so rare to have this kind of feeling in the family so I cherished it as much as I can. 

"I'm really happy for you Tommy." 

"It's only the start Sophie." 

"I didn't think anything different." 

We had all gone out for celebration drinks. It was a good atmosphere even if Grace is behind the bar today. I know she has something up her sleeve but I don't know what. 

"Right, I think we need another round of drinks." 

"Yes! I'll go get it." 

I stand up with a smile and make my way out of the private room to the bar. Grace looks at me with a frown before putting a bottle of Irish whiskey on the bar. 

"On the house." 

"Oh I know. See you tomorrow." 

She nods shortly before turning to do something else. I giggle before making my way back to the private room. 

"Let's get this party started then!"