17 Trust

I had woken in my own bed this morning, I was glad Azriel had placed me in my bed, instead of his own when I had fallen asleep at the base of his bed. I had wanted nothing more than to stay here, though I needed to scrub my body after my nightmare with Balton. 

Dragging myself down the stairs, I was more then aware of how I looked, my hair was still damp, lying flat against my back, my skin was pale and my eyes hallow. Though I took a sat at the breakfast table, I had noticed that having breakfast together is a routine for these people, before returning to the rest day. I sat between Amren and Cassian, opposing Azriel, "Where's Elain?" I asked, I hadn't seen her lately. 

"With Lucien," Feyre answered as Azriel shifted in his seat, his wings drooping as he shovelled more food in his mouth. Rolling my eyes, I piled some fruit onto my plate, My body didn't want me to, though if I was going to train, and become stronger I needed to eat.

"Guess your meddling worked," Amren uttered to me, though the entire table heard it. Azriel's wings sunk even lower, for once in my life, I felt regret. 

Azriel and Elain would have made a good match, he's the shadows, the darkness, and she's the flowers, the light."It wasn't right of me to intercept her love life," I had hoped my statement would have made Azriel feel better, apparently it did not. I wanted to tell them all that I did not plan to leave like I had told Az yesterday, though it seems like nobody expects me to leave, nobody even wants me to, so I stayed quiet. "Word spreads quickly around the courts," Rhysand began, eating some more of his soup, who has soup for breakfast? It seems to be all that he eats. "The high lords will be wanting an explanation to who you are, why you reacted so badly to Baltons presence," He looked at the tip of my ear, "Everyone knows each high fae. But nobody knows you."

"You know me," I stated back, curling my hand into a fist, Azriel gave me a look filled with amusement, huffing, I placed the thumb on the outside of my fist, just like he taught me. 

"A high fae goes undetected for 100 years, and we just found her in our kitchen, yeah, that's believable," Cassian snorted. 

"Hey, I told you, I am 67!" I resorted back, elbowing him in the ribs. 

"Oh yeah, forgot you were a tiny baby," He pulled at my cheek, I slapped his hand away, ready to punch him in the face, though Feyre began. 

"Evangeline, we just need to know where you came from, who your parent's were-"

I snorted, pushing another berry into my mouth, "Did you forget that I didn't have a name before I came here? Did you forget that Elain picked it for me? If I didn't know my name then how the hell am I supposed to know my parents?"

The table went quiet for a moment, "So you don't remember anything of your past?" Mor enquired. The dances, the bedroom, the whips, the poison came to mind. 

"Oh, I remember plenty," I spoke back to her

"They give us an explanation, we were kind enough to give you a home, why won't you just tell us who you are?" Mor chuckled lightly. 

"You speak of it like its the easiest thing in the world," I stood up form the table. "Let the high lords come, let them come and ask me the same questions, I will give them the same answers,"

"Because you don't trust us." Azriel finally spoke up, looking at me. "You don't trust us after everything we've done," Even Cassian looked a little hurt.

I crossed my arms, "You really do like to state the obvious don't you Az?" He clenched his jaw, his shadows darkening, he shook his head slightly, he seemed somewhat amused by my anger, that annoyed the hell out of me"Fuck you Azriel,"

"Is a threat or a promise?" He smirked, leaning back in his chair a little, he was enjoying this too much. Everyone else seemed amused by our little argument. 

"It's funny how you think I'd ever go near your body and your disgusting little wings," I resorted back, a sliver crawling up my spine. Did I just lie? No, I hate liars, they're the worst people on this earth. 

"Then why did you come into my room last night?" He question, tipping his head sideways. 

"Wait, what!" Cassian spoke aloud, laughing a little, "She came into your room? Go on Eve!" I slapped my arm, though I ignored him completely. 

"Because your shadows were calling out for me, basically begging me to go to you," Here I am, lying in an argument, I've turned into a completely new person. 

Azriel stood up, leaning over the table a little. "We both know that isn't true Evangeline," He uttered, his face was close to mine, so close. "If my shadows begged you to come to me, then that means I would want anything to do with you." He leaned even closer. "Which I don't

He was so close. I looked up at him through my eyelashes, he's still as intimidating as when I first got here. His shadows darkened as he took in a quick breath, his eyes roamed my face, not letting his face betray any of his emotions. "Oh, just get a room you to," Amren uttered, standing up, "I don't want to smell your arousal," 

I pulled away from him, "I'm not aroused!" I cried, crossing my arms. 

"I wasn't speaking of you," Amren whispered to me as she walked past, retiring to her bedroom.