24 Burning Hell

I sat in front of Rhysand, very, very carefully sewing his wing. I wore gloves, Balton didn't want me to touch his wings and I didn't either. I didn't look into his eyes as I bandaged them. His had barely been damaged. 

My earlier talk to get rid of the guards had been for nothing, now they were back, a party had commenced, poisoned women were everywhere, dancing, though I felt Lord Baltons eyes on me as I sewed, I didn't dare utter a word as I then bandaged one on his stomach. 

I then turned to Az. "Leave him till the end. I want him in pain as much as possible." Balton's voice echoed through the room. I nodded, turning to Cassian. 

"You betrayed us," Cassian uttered, his lips barely moving. "Good game 93650." 

"You are so easily fooled, Cassian. Maybe you should retire from your General position, you are too easily tricked" I spoke harshly, spitting my words as I finished bandaging his wing. I made my words vague on purpose, hoping he would see the underlying message. 

I moved to his stomach. "Don't bother," he jerked away from me, "You're going to kill us anyway, why delay the inevitable," 

"Don't let your pride get you killed Cassian," I spat, meaning these words, "I thought you were smart, let me heal you,"

I continued my work in silence, Feyre refused to speak to me, so I cleaned her wounds quickly and bandaged them, much like I have done with my own for decades. I reached Amren, quickly cleaning her wounds. "So this is Hell?" She asked, her voice not revealing anything, like always, she looked around, almost impressed.

I will raise hell for my friend. 

"Yes, yes it is," We looked into each other's eyes. We never needed words to speak to each other.

"I can't wait to burn it down," She uttered, 

"I don't believe you can burn Hell, Amren," I smiled slightly, the only time I have ever smiled here. 

Her upper lip curled, "I'll find a way," I looked down, bandaging her wound. "Those scars on your back look painful." She spoke, I hadn't realised my scars were on display, they must have all seen them. I shrugged.

"Done," I whispered, subtly squeezing her arm before moving towards Azriel. Clenching my jaw, I kneeled before him. Blood covered him, his hair stuck to his forehead with sweat, his skin was lighter and I could barely see his shadows, they were so light, almost translucent. "You found me," I barely whispered, dipping a clean cloth into the warm water and I began to clean his cuts on his wings. Balton's magic was draining them of their power so quickly. 

He blew some hair through his teeth, I tried to touch his wings as little as possible. I winced, his wings were in a bad state. "You should not have come," I mumbled, cleaning the other wounds. 

"I know," His jaw was clenched. 

My hands were shaky as I stitched his wings, they kept twitching under me, trying to hold themselves off of the dirty ground. Sighing, I shuffled towards him, I spread my bare legs forward. "Lean your wings on my legs,"

"No-"

"I won't be able to stitch you when you're straining your wings like that," I gave him a bored glare, he glared back, until he gave up, letting his wings fall onto my thighs. I tried not to move them as I continued to stitch his wounds. "When I drink the elixir," I began, "don't watch me," I felt his gaze onto me, though he said nothing. I moved onto his other wing, he rested them on my thighs again, "Why did you come?"

He was silent again, "We believed you were in danger,"

"So?" I pushed. 

"We were friends. Why would we not try and help you," He looked at me, his face curling up in disgust, "But you seem just fine," 

I finished healing him, though my hand still hovered over his torso. "After the elixir has worn off, in 2 hours or so, get ready to run," I looked him in the eye, "Behind the shelf behind you is a passage, it leads to the outside, there, you will be able to widdow." Nobody could widdow in Balton's institute, I pretended to bandage his hand, "I will distract Lord Balton when my mind is conscious again, and you will run,"

"What about the other guards?"

I stared at his hand for a moment, "I will distract them."

"How?"

"I will think of something," I murmured, 

"Will you be coming with us?"

I stilled, "You would still want me to come back?" He didn't respond, only looking at me for an answer, "I don't know," I whispered. 

"Okay." He didn't fight me on it, he didn't seem to want me to come, only asking out of politeness. 

"Don't look at me when I take the elixir," I repeated, "Goodbye Azriel," Walking to my lord before he could say anything else.

Time for plan B